1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

?? On Claybuster Wad ??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Spanky, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

What is the difference between the Claybuster version of the Figure 8 and what Claybuster put out as a White 8? I'm a long time user of the Fig.8 but just noticed this White 8 version.

This has probably been around for awhile but sometimes I'm known to live under a rock and be out of touch.

I appreciate the replies and response. Thanks, Spank

2. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Spanky:

White 8s have been around almost forever. I did a quick scan of old reloading manuals. The earliest mention of a White 8 I found was in the 1996 edition of Hodgdon's guide. Data for Remington hulls in Alliant's 1996 guide referred to "Claybuster" as a wad option but didn't specify whether it was the CB Fig 8 clone, the White 8 or something else.

The basic story goes like this...

Years ago Claybuster introduced a true Fig 8 clone. That was before the introduction of the White 8 and more importantly, before patent protections on the Fig 8 had expired. Remington exercised their patent rights and forced Claybuster to stop making the true clones until the patent expired.

Claybuster's reaction was to introduce the White 8. It was and is a Fig 8 REPLACEMENT but is NOT a true clone.

The primary physical difference between the two is in the cushioning section. The cushioning loops of Fig 8s are round. The cushioning sections of White 8's are sort of square with pointed corners. The two wads function almost identically but the physical differences were sufficient to avoid patent infringement issues.

When Fig 8 patent protections expired, Claybuster started making true Fig 8 clones once again. By that time White 8s had a constituency of their own and Claybuster kept producing them.

sissy

edited addition: I added a URL for Claybuster's website. Mash the link for photos of the White 8 (CB 3118-12A) and the true Fig 8 clone (CB 8118-12). Look close and you can see the differences in their cushioning sections.

It also shows the Red version (CB 3118-12AR). The red version is designed for straight walled hulls like Gold Medals. I think (but am not sure) that the red 8 may be a replacement for the discontinued Federal 12C1 wad. As always use published data.

3. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

sis, I appreciate the response. Thanks for the history lesson that goes along with them. I'm willing to try them if I see them. Claybuster use to send out samples at one time. Not sure if the are still the same old ownership. I've been reloading with the "AA" clone and the Fig. 8 for a long time but just don't recall seeing Claybuster as a White 8. Thanks, Spank.

4. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Claybuster sent me 50 of their WAA 7/8oz wads at my request a couple weeks ago. Never got a response from either of the emails I sent to Duster requesting samples...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cb 8118-12 vs cb 3118-12a

claybuster 3118-12ar reloading data

claybuster 8118 load data

claybuster load data white 8

laoding data for claybuster 8118-12 wad