1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

On Cheaper Trap Shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by MTA Tom, Oct 15, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

On Cheaper Trap Shooting. "With the increasing popularity Of Skeet the number of trap shooters have increased tremendously during the past few years, and yet due to the high cost of this sport I venture to say that there are almost as many more shooters, who cannot compete, due to lack of funds.

Clay bird busting is an expensive pastime. In fact, an afternoon spent at this sport costs more than almost any kind of amusement.

Just as an example, one can have an afternoon of golf on a municipal course without a caddie from fifty cents to one dollar, and attend football, baseball or movies for the same amount or less, and this is true for many other sports, while for a moderate afternoon of fifty birds at the traps, at retail prices the cost will be one dollar for the birds and from a dollar and a quarter to a dollar and a half for shells, or a total of two dollars and a half for the afternoon. At wholesale prices this figure can be cut down, but even then it is rather costly.

If hand loading is resorted to, using fired shells, the cost can be more reduced, but there are very few who know about re-loading and re-capping, and while there are numerous concerns catering to the riflemen who wish to re-load, the poor shotgun man has been entirely overlooked as far as supplying him with easy and really good loading outfits.

A good many years ago I remember when I used to be able to buy lightly loaded black powder shells for $.35 a box. Often one or two would misfire in a box of 25, but if one does not take shooting too seriously what difference does it make?....

Some years ago I had a very good friend who worked for one of the leading ammunition companies who told me that thousands and thousands of shells were condemned every year as not quite up to the rigid test required for the regular output, and yet for the averager shooter who considered price ahead of quality they would be perfrectly satisfactorily.

Why should not some of these shells be put in circulation?"

George D. Canfield, American Rifleman, February, 1939

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've heard remington used to sell "seconds" to special people 20-30 years ago. I contacted them about it once, and they said all the stuff thats not up to par for sale is used at the Remington gun club in Lonoke AR

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.