1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? On 60's and 70's Chevy Heads

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, Jul 17, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

? On 60

I have on my 68 327 double hump casting head. In other words they look like camel humps, round tops. I just meet a guy who had a old hot rod with no hood. He had heads that had two posts and two towers and said they were double hump heads. I didn't say anything but thought they weren't true double hump head's. What are you alls thoughts?

2. goony

goony Active Member

What are the casting numbers inbetween the valve springs? You can also look for the date code and measure the diameter of both valves.

3. Auctioneer

That I can't tell you. The ones I have are are the 194 valve size. He didn't say his were any bigger. If they were the larger size I feel he would have said so.

4. Auctioneer

Here are some pic's of the two diff head markings. Sorry for the poor quality of them. The camel humps are the first pic and that is what I have. The second pic is close to what he had but were taller.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. j2jake

j2jake Well-Known Member

Both are Double hump. Go here for photo of markings. http://www.fastnuf.com/Headguide.html. I have scrounged for these heads during my race days. Jake

6. Auctioneer

Thanks, I did find that before I came back here. I think I have the 492 castings as I was reading that info. The posts are lesser heads to my large double hump heads as it said. My heads are the E's and his are the D's.

J2Jake, I started to rebuild what I had in 1984 and finished fall of 1986. I knew what all the hidden junk yards were. LOL. Now they are all gone because the owners died or were forced out by the local gov. DAMN THEM.

Now we have computers and that does take some fun out of it. I do like to look at what I'm buying in hand.

7. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

The hump markings on the end of the heads of Double Hump or Camel Hump heads will vary slightly with the size of the valves. There were 1.94 intake/ 1.50 exhaust and 2.02 intake/1.60 exhaust. If there was another size, that info has long since left my mind. Besides measuring the valves themselves you can also tell their size by the casting numbers. I don't recall what castings numbers were what size valves.

8. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

#461 casting comes to mind.

9. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Make sure ya use a "Duntov" cam in that engine.

GneJ

10. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

grntitan,

There were also some with a 1.97 intakes that came on the fuelie 'vette engines. I had a pair and didn't realize they were different until I took them to the machine shop to have them rebuilt. That's when the old guy told me what they were. Pretty rare set of heads.

ss

11. Bvr Tail

Bvr Tail Well-Known Member

In my younger days I played with small block chevys.

I had a local junk yard that would sell me 283s all day for $40.00 ea, and I bought a ton of them.

Just from my findings, and the info my cousin gave me(he was a automotive machinist in a local parts store for 30 years), we found the 327 engines with a quadrajet carb(1967-68) were generally called 275 horse, and had double hump heads with a larger intake than the ones with a AFB 4-bbl. Those were marked as 300 horse, but because GM thought the Q-jet needed more air to deliver more fuel, the 275 horse marked had bigger valves.

I believe the camel humps were earlier 327 heads, and the twin-tower humps were the later 327 heads, from my experience.

I may be wrong, but I think that the 68 327 heads had one bolt hole in the end like the early 350 heads had, but that is kinda fuzzy in my memory bank.

I got into BB chevys after 69, so I forget a lot about mouse motors.

12. KIRKS AUTO

KIRKS AUTO Member

Did not the cc's jump around between the heads also. Seem the 64 cc heads were in high demand around here. A mild surface cut and 58 cc was possible, sure has heck would not run on todays gas. On a lot of our restoration jobs we use the customers dbl humps for correctness to the build, but we use copper head gaskit shims(up to .100) to lower the compression to run on pump gas. Kirk

13. grntitan

From what I recall, the various heads with various CC's differed between the different car models. I recall searching the salvage yards for engines/heads from certain vehicles. It didn't always need to be an Impala, Chevelle or Vette. Often times the big family cars or even work trucks had the most desired parts and engines. As an example, a big station waggon could have the same engine as an Impala. And the pick-up trucks usually always had the 4 bolt mains we always sought out.

One thing is for sure fellas, it was a whole lot more fun and easier when stuff swapped so easily between the small block GM engines.

14. trap906

trap906 Member

327, and 350 heads came in 3 intake valve sizes back in the 60's and 70's. 1.75, 1.94, and 2.02. 1.75 were generally called 250-275 hp. 1.94 and 2.02 were 300 hp with 1.94 being more common. 2.02 were usually found in engines put in corvettes, or in camaro and chevelle rs and ss models. originals are very hard to find nowadays that aren't cracked. If you have some have them checked and use them if they are good. Hot rod guys will pay a premium for those heads!!

15. Mapper

Mapper Member

About all Chev orange block stuff is scarce. My junkyard buddy called me a while back looking for an orange block. I have one 2 bolt block and one set of heads left. 202 valves can be installed in some 194 heads, then it is time to fire up the die grinder to improve the ports, or just buy a set of Dart iron heads and paint them orange.

16. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Now a days you are far better off just order up a set of dart iron eagles for what guys want for good gm's then a manaflux mill and valve job. unles you are going for correctness. Seen a lot of guys around here worry about correct castings,not for performance but correctness and then put on a edelbrock intake and carb and a shit load of chrome or even fuel inj. what a waste

17. grntitan

federal paper,

While I agree on the chrome thing, some engines did come from the factory with Edelbrock aluminum intakes. I know Mopar had Vic Edelbrock make aluminum intakes for the 340 6pk and the 440 6pk. I do not know if they were all aluminum Edelbrock made or not. Of course we were talking GM here and honestly I don't really know jack squat about Mopar.

18. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I have my fathers 67 Impala with 275hp 327 engine.

It has double hump heads, no accessory bolt holes, 194 intakes.

I have the engine in my storage barn, and can't see the casting no., but I think as stated above are 461 or 416??

The heads in question are not double hump heads.

I have a book somewhere that shows all the casting #s, but I'm sure you can google it and get the same.

Regards....Gerald

19. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

There were 2 461 type heads, 1 numbered 461 and the other 461x the x came later and had slightly larger ports then the 461. The 1963, 64, and 65 FI vette's had the 461 heads. I had a 72 Vega with a .020 over 302 and it had 461 heads.

20. federal paper

federal paper TS Member

Wouldn't you like to have that DZblock and orig. heads today to sell to some camaro guy? Ifyou found the rite guy that could be like hittin the lotto.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

327 engine two towers

double tower 327 heads

what engines did camelhump heads come on in the 60s

what size heads come on a 1967 327 275 horse