1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OMG; Can't shoot gun up any more !

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bruce Em, Jun 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Since coming back to birdguns a couple years ago, I have focussed on International and field shooting; gun down.

I shoot skeet that way most of the time and trap as well; get people talking and watching too.

Anyways, I shot the 50 bird county league. First 25 gun down with my field gun.

Shot a 22. OK thats typical; I am a 22 to 24 shooter most of the time (unless I use IC for trap with 7/8 loads)

Second 25 with my Brng trap, premounted, as now I would like to catch up. Lost....Lost....Lost....OMG I'm blowing it, Maybe I can't do it that way anymore?

Back to gun down, even with a trap gun I havent used much, dead...dead...dead... only lost one bird for the remaining 22 shots.

What's up with that?

Brng beads are more than stacked or fig 8, theres a gap between them when I premount. If I shoot gun down, I have no idea how they align.

maybe it shoots low and gun down gives it some vertical speed?

maybe low gun has better gun speed period?

maybe I lifted my head without realizing it

Can't be mental pressure, I am professionally trained in that area and these 3 shots were easy ones from stn 4.

It can't be bad luck

Anyone KNOW the differences in POI with gun down and premount if any or is it dead stick inertia I am not overcoming?

regards

2. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

One thought is with premounted gun is that you bead check. Gun down, your totally watching target.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I had a simular problem when I started trap, shot better low mount. It just felt funny premounting my shot gun. I think from what I noticed is low gun, your eyes are on the target, you track move then gun comes up BANG. premount I think you loose a little of the eyes on target 1st and the move to the target. and yes forget beads......geez your fieldie dont have beads does it? mine has this case snatcher thing on the front. NOW my XT trap gun with very high comb, I would probably wack the #$%^ out of myself shooting that thing low gun.

4. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Field gun (actually a skeet gun with the IM choke installed) has beads

I did notice how smooth and natural gun down with the Brng felt, I just mounted during the swing process and fired ( someone once said "jus think what he could have done if he aimed").

I may be shooting them a LOT faster gun down and I know I see them MUCH better too.

Definitely not bead checking but there may be time for my head to move perhaps rolling my head forward bringing my eye down. I suspect I am shooting under them when premounted otherwise the "picture" feels the same.

more to come

5. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

Gun down increases barrel speed and allows you to see the bird better prior to releasing the shot. I've never shot gun up skeet or sporting. Gun down was the right way to shoot skeet (before it was "pussified" by allowing gun up)

6. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You are trying to compare apples and oranges. A mounted gun is like golf swing, you start from a set position. You try to replicate the same move to each target depending on post and presentation.

A low gun is like a tennis swing with everything in motion and you have to rely on a more instinctive reaction to get the gun to the proper position to fire.

However, the more total movement required in a low mount would require a lot more work to perfect a consistant move to the target and to eliminate mistakes. When you have to shoot 100 or 200 to win, you want to eliminate as much motion as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.