1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympics-Shooting-Moose hunting helps American win

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Joe Potosky, Aug 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Olympics-Shooting-Moose hunting helps American win bronze

By Lee Chyen Yee

BEIJING, Aug 11 (Reuters) - Shooting moose is one way to get ready for the Olympics.

That is exactly what American Corey Cogdell did. The Alaskan native bagged the Olympic bronze medal on Monday at age 21, just three years after she said she shot her first moose on a hunting trip with her father, Dick.

"I harvested my first moose when I was 18, a couple of years ago," she told a news conference. "It wasn't a huge 'trophy moose' but it was a trophy to me. I was able to go hunting with my dad and he was there when I shot it."

It was hard to tell which "trophy" gave her more pride -- the moose or the bronze medal -- because she smiled from ear-to-ear when talking about both the moose and the medal.

"I grew up hunting and fishing with my dad and that did involve moose hunting back in Alaska," she said.

"I definitely think my hunting background and my growing up in Alaska helped me progress so quickly and make this team after only shooting international trap for just two years."

Cogdell was in medal contention behind leaders Satu Makela-Nummela and Zuzana Stefecekova after the qualification. But she struggled early on before hitting her last five targets to draw even at 86 and then won a thrilling four-way shoot-out.

"I've been shooting since a very young age -- probably two or three years old -- hunting and shooting with my dad," she said. "I just grew up with it." (Additional reporting by Erik Kirschbaum; Editing by Alison Williams)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.