1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympic Trap

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by lsudrt, Aug 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lsudrt

lsudrt TS Member

In trying to increase my knowledge about Trap (hard thing for me to do) I was reading about International trap: The rules state - International trap is shot with a 24-gram payload of shot that can be no larger than size 7, generally at a muzzle velocity of about 1350 fps. 24 grams is almost exactly the same as 7/8 ounce, so that this load can be duplicated easily by re-loaders.

ow many the shooters here use that type of load at all times? and if you handload - would you share what are you using? If you buy commerical ammo - what brand do you buy? and one last ? what kind of MV are you getting. Thanks in advance...
    Don Turnley

2. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Remington or Win AA hull, 17.8 grs of Promo or Red Dot, Winchester Primer, Win AA12L or clone, 7/8 oz of 8 1/2 shot. Gets about 1250 fps and cycles my 1100 reliably. 8's or 7 1/2's for longer yardages. Longer yardage or International/Bunker, I would go to the 12S0 Federal wad and a bit more powder with 7 1/2s for higher velocity around 1350 fps. Light recoil and it crushes targets if you are on them. Loads can be found at www.alliantpowder.com.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Don...

Currently loading a load I found on the NobelSport website using Clays.

Here is the load from their website:

7/8 oz Clays NS 209 NSGT24 19.0 7,000 PSI 20.3 8,000 PSI 22.0 8,800 PSI 23.0 10,500 PSI

Works great in a NobelSport or Cheddite type hull.

Currently are using the Kemens for competition.

TB

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Don, I don't know if this fits your questions but I use 7/8 oz loads for trap singles, first shot of trap doubles, skeet, and relatively short sporting birds. I only load them, however, to the velocity of 1220 fps as there simply is no need for more at those birds. I have broken 24 of 25 twice when they were the only loads I had with me and was at the 25 yard trap line with a buddy that wanted a pace shooter with him but I do not recommend them for 22 yards or more and that's arbitrary. I load #9s for most of those needs and occasionally #8s when I just want to see if any difference. 7/8 oz of 9s has given me a number of 100s at singles. For Bunker shooting, I would not recommend my load and would boost the velocity to at least 1300 fps and would likely shoot at least 8s. Know that my skeet, sporting, and, if ever again, bunker are all recreational shooting.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. chipking

chipking TS Member

Remington hull , 20.5 grains of Red Dot or Promo, Rem TGT12 OR the Downrange copy DRRT12, Rem 209 primer, 24-Gram West Coast Magnum 7 1/2. Most 7/8 oz bushings will drop right at or just below 24-Grams (370 grains) of the harder #7 1/2 magnum shot. This will put you right at 1350fps with pressures still down in the 9000 psi range. Good Load. I have also subbed the Downrange wad XXL pink with good performance. High speed and large shot make for very impressive breaks.

--- Chip King ---

6. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Here's my 24 gram load used exclusively for bunker and that's pretty much all we shoot.

STS or Nitro hull
    Win AA12L (grey) wad
    Fiocchi primer
    20.5 gr Clay Dot
    24 grams northwest 7 1/2 shot
    fps around 1325-1350

AA hull
    Win AA12SL (pink) wad
    Fiocchi primer
    20.5 gr Clay Dot
    24 grams northwest 7 1/2 shot
    fps around 1325-1350

If I use the grey wad in the AA hull I get some crowning of the crimp - the pink wad gives the best crimp with that load/hull combo. In the Rem hulls the grey wad gives the best crimp.

7. lsudrt

lsudrt TS Member

Thanks you my "super smart shooters" (lol) the info is very much on target - lol
    Don Turnley

8. AJKohler

AJKohler Member

STS or old style AA hull, 18.8 gr. Clays, B&P T2 wad (Precision's nomenclature; sold by Ballistic Products as the 978 Lightning) and 7/8 oz or 24 gm. (I've got both bushings) of #8 shot. Works beautifully on singles and doubles; I've not shot registered in many years so haven't tried it much at handicap. Love the load and really don't load anything else in 12.

Tony

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

olympic trap load velocity curve