1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympic Trap FTF Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by timb99, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Maybe some of you Olympic/Bunker trap guys can tell me.

In Olympic/Bunker singles trap, of course you get two shots at each target until the finals round.

What happens if you miss on your first shot, and you get an FTF on the second shot?

Lost target, or do you get to shoot the target over?

I assume, if you get an FTF on the first shot, you get an FTF and get to shoot the target again?

How many FTF's do you get?

Just curious.

2. cecritz

cecritz Member

The rule book is available on USA Shootings web site www.usashooting.com go to competions window and scroll down to usas rules

ISSF Rule 9.14.7.5.12 the first shot is a miss and the shooter's second shot misfires due to an allowable malfunction of either the gun or the cartridge. In this case the target must be repeated and missed with the first shot and hit only with the second shot. If the target is hit with the first shot, it must be declared “LOST”.

9.14.9.1.5 a shooter suffers a third or subsequent malfunction of gun or cartridge in the same round;will be scored as "LOST TARGET"

3. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

excellent question. the rule is cited above. FTF on the 2nd barrel is shoot over but MUST miss on the 1st shot and attempt to hit on 2nd shot.

try it sometime - it is extremely difficult to figure out how to do it correctly.

my son had to go thru this drill recently and he didn't have a method for doing it so he hit the bird on the 1st shot - LOST.

we have since practiced it a few times and while still not a natural feeling he can hit it with the 2nd barrel.

the problem with this shot is you are conditioned to attack the bird so any time you have to think about it bad things happen - thinking about where to place your 1st shot and then going after it on the 2nd shot is very very hard to do.

only with consistent practice can you get this drill down.

4. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

I'll add to that.

Lets see if I can make this clear as mud.

The shooter calls for the target, shoots the first shot (misses) and does not fire the second shot. With out openening the gun or touching the safety the shooter will bring attention to the referee. The referee will/should notice a lost bird and only 1 shot taken.

The referee will ask what happened, if it is a failure to fire such as "I lost sight of the target or I trapped the trigger, I heard a click etc", the referee will take the gun and attempt to fire. If it fires it is a lost target. if it does not fire the ref will then open the gun. If it determined that a gun/ammunition malfunction occured it will be noted on the score sheet and reshot with the shooter missing the first shot and the second shot is then scored. The second malfunction will be handled in a simular fashion, the third malfunction will be a lost target. The shooter has several options. Such as repairing the gun.. replacing the gun.. or making up the round. (this is where the Perazzi's and DT guns come into play... the shooter has 3 minutes in which to do this).

If the shooter failed to load the gun it is a lost target, If the shooter failed to fire for any reason other than a malfunction it shall be a lost target.

There are also circumstances in which a no bird is called. Such as a bolt of lightnening, a loud horn honks, etc that the ref may give the shooter a no bird option if the shooter was distracted or safety issues.

There are 3 Referee's One on the line with the shooter and 1 on either side scoring or working the flipper boards and watching targets.

It is the referee's duty to call, hit, loss or no bird. If there is a question the 2 side referee's should be asked to assist with determining a call.

I won't get into protests but the shooting may continue under protest if he feels that the incorrect call was made.

Garry

5. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

Just to add to the above.

If the shooter opens the gun it is a lost target. The importance of gun repair withing 3 minutes is this...

5 stations, 2 lefts 2 rights and a straight away at each station. The computer randomly selects what machine throws and when in the sequence of the round.

Now let's say that you are on your second malfunction on the 15th target of the round. If you must make up that round it will start on the 15th target at the same station on a randomly selected different scheme. It would be possible to be scored on 15-20 right hand targets or left hand targets or ten straight aways... which could be good bad or extremely painfull depending on which scheme is set and what targets are your downfall.

Garry

6. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Missing on purpose? sounds like sandbagging. LOL JRM

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wouldn't have guessed that.

Thanks for the info!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.