1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

olympic training center relocating

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Mr. Schock, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Schock

Mr. Schock TS Member

Should the training center relocate due to the anti gun laws in colorado?

The Cardnial Center would be a good choice.

2. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

how about Wisconsin?

Geez

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

The Cardinal works for me. I have to go to the OTC every two years, and this would save a bunch of travel time.

4. Michael Wascom

Michael Wascom Member

Who's going to pay for such a move?

you do realize there's much more going on there than just shooting

5. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

I think the shooting sports should go to Hill Country Shooting Sports Center in Kerrville, Texas. All the non-gun events could stay in Colorado Springs. HCSC has 6 bunkers and skeet fields. They have a huge indoor air gun facility and many acres of rifle and pistol ranges. Cardinal Center has one bunker without cover for the shooters and no skeet.

Paul A. Bobby

6. deadendout

deadendout TS Member

I watched the short video on Keystone shooting park and it looks like a winner. Keith

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

I recall a discussion when the OTC was established nearly 30 years ago. There were some of us that suggested that it not be in Colorado Springs due to the weather and the fact that the ranges are not usable for many days during the year. Our pleas fell on deft ears. The NRA who was the National Governing Body of Olympic Shooting made the move. The weather issue are still with us as well as the additional hassle with Range access because its on Ft. Carson property.

The real issue is that USAS will never move. USOC is their 'Sugar Daddy" and supplies most of the funding. Further the OTC supplies a lot of support services such as athlete dorms, training assistance, etc. that would preclude a move. Nice idea to move it to Texas but it ain't going to happen.

T

8. Poacher502

Poacher502 TS Member

Guys your as bad as the politicians on this if you would pull the OTC program from Colorado all it would do is make shooting sports less excessible to areas like Colorado that could use some good PR I'm in Colorado and a huge supporter for our 2nd amendment rights I'm a competitive shooter and guide and will fight to my last breath for this right but we have to be smart about it so instead of waisting time and energy trying to relocate the OTC or stop the ata nssa nsca from having shoots in Colorado all you are affecting truly is me and all of the shooters here in Colorado it's bad enough the gov has turned there backs on us we don't need other sportsman and shooters to do the same !!! If you want to protest or boycott something in Colorado do something that will affect the GOV not your fellow shooters like don't hunt in Colorado over 60% of colorados big game lic go to out of state hunters in co if you don't buy a lic you don't support there agenda plain and simple take the dollars away from them and they will notice when there's no money for the save a tree foundation or to pay the parks and wildlife division my other suggestion is to go to your local boyscout troop or school and volunteer to help set up a firearm safety program or a youth shooting team and try to counteract the propaganda thrown at our youth about how bad guns are because right now that is a major problem and we as shooters have to be proactive instead of being counteractive

9. Limpy100

Limpy100 Member

502, You are correct,IF YOU HIT THEM IN THE POCKET BOOK, THEY HURT ALL OVER

10. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

Keystone has no pistol or rifle facilities.

11. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The shotgunners have pretty much ALWAYS been on their own. The NRA pretended the shotgun people didn't even exist. The whole of the OTC being in CO has always been joke. I mean the skiers don't even train there! None of the high viz sports train there. But you can bet vital body parts it ain't gonna move - not even the shotgun part that nobody GAF about anyway.

Simple case of no money - as in none

12. PCK100

PCK100 TS Member

Yes, move to a shooter friendly state now while the irons hot!!

13. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

"Maybe" a nice idea, but will never happen. As mentioned, dorms and support staff for resident athletes are just some of the factors in play at the OTC. One comment made is especially true for all the shooting sports. It's pretty much a given that USAS is the unloved step-child with the USOC. Moving it away from Colorado would only serve to put USAS "out of sight, out of mind." This would be at a time when we need the full support from USOC for all the shooting events. I just can't see the benefit from that perspective.

Other locals may offer better facilities, some are certainly more accessible.

HJH

14. Poacher502

Poacher502 TS Member

As a kid I was fortunate enough to spend a lot of time at the OTC as a shooter under Loyd Woodhouse and Terry Howard in the junior Olympic program so I am a bit sentimental towards it as it was a defining moment in who I became as a person and as a shooter my only complaint at this point is that the public doesn't have access to the bunker or skeet range so if you want practice on a bunker your sol ! Unless your part of the program or can travel to new Mexico I would give anything to be able to shoot it now !
    Matt

15. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

There's a new bunker at the Pikes Peak trap club for local practice, but you're right Matt, there should be a way to open Carson to the public on a scheduled basis. Maybe the OTC resident athletes could run it. I'm discouraged with USAS at this point and the shotgun results in Acapulco last week prove my point. The shotgun coach doesn't even live in Colorado with the shooters. I was shooting about 12 bunker events a year for several years until a health issue slowed me down. I'm back to 110% now but my pride in being part of the program has diminished. I really think the shooting sports needs new management and I think Kerrville is the place. I hope it can be worked out.

16. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Ohio? You got to be kidding. Who did they vote for for Pres the last 2 times around?

17. olympicshooter

olympicshooter Member

I don't see how you could be disappointed in the way the athletes performed in Acapulco last week. 7 out of the 13 athletes made the finals, and came away with 3 medals: 1 golds, 1 silver, and 1 bronze. The US team was also responsible for 5 new world records. Sounds like a successful trip to me.

18. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

The more desirable venue would be Tucson with five bunkers, particularly if covers for the trap fields could be made available. It is also close to Phoenix with its one covered bunker to provide variety. However, the other services available at the OTC are invaluable and unavailable at the other venues.

Kerrville is a poor alternative with conditions not seen anywhere else that I am aware, (it was termed "primitive" by the World Cup attendees).

The athletes need a break over the winter anyway. And the idea of a part time coach coming in for training sessions and a variety of coaches participating so the athletes can have a wider choice of coaches with whom they may be more comfortable is, I think, a good one.

As it is, an increasing number of team members come from other than the OTC, so the team training at a site such as Tucson prior to the World Cup season is useful and the shooters can build from those sessions at home before traveling to competitions.

Chuck

19. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Don't let Harry Reid catch wind of moving the training center unless you want it in Las Vegas.

20. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

The Clark County Shooting Park is already so far in the red I doubt it will ever recover. Last I heard they spent a ton on the sporting clays range but not a cent for a bunker. Besides, LV is the most inhospitable place I could think of for shotgun. If it isn't blazing hot or blue cold it is blowing so hard it is difficult to stand up let alone shoot. Very few ideal days.

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.