1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympic Shotgun Games Targets manufacturer?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by pyrdek, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Does anyone have any information on who is the manufacturer of the targets being used in the shotgun events at the Olympics this year?

With the earlier posting about Chinese targets being harder to break than the typical U.S. or Canadian target, I wonder if we will be seeing a reduction in some of the scores/averages being shot this year if their "homegrown" targets are used. If they imported targets for the games, where did they come from?

The shooting games have probably already started by the time this is posted so we should soon see lots of coverage on the NBC Olympic Television reports, right? :-( I wonder if they will even mention anything at all about the shooting games.

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

According to Bret Erickson it is a local Chinese manufacturer and they are hard to break.

Tom

3. TrapTech

TrapTech TS Member

Hard isn't the word for the Chinese "clays"

We had some samples after the last shoot at the ranges and you'd swear that the things were plastic, or at least they felt like they were.

As for hardness...well you could drop them on the floor from about 4 foot and would they break?? Would they hell!!

As far as I understand the manufacturers were given a period of time to "soften" the target mix up and change the position of the flash powder from the top of the target to the underside.

If things were not correct the ISSF/IOC were to revert to using Laporte Grand Prix targets which had been delivered for the World Cup but not used due to pressure for the local manufacturer to be used by the Chinese...

Andy Herrett
    Laporte Trap Technician UK

4. Trappy12

Trappy12 Active Member

pyrdek, as to whether or not they will be televised, they will be on MSNBC. The time listing was 5am-5pm...so there's going to be lots of stuff in between them!
    -Trappy

5. pyrdek

pyrdek Well-Known Member

Well that means that I did not have the chance to see them for two reasons. One, I was in the woods living under canvas (actually nylon) over the weekend but it would not have mattered anyway since I do not watch enough TV to justify having cable or satellite.

Thanks for the info anyway.

6. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

I just watched the Men's Trap finals on MSNBC recoreded on my TIVO. The Targets broke well. The announcer said they had a pouch of powder in them that make a puff of smoke when the target broke. This to help make the breaks more visable to the judges. The puff also made the came a better show for the TV I thought. Usually film or TV of Trap shooting doesn't show the break very well but these puff targets did a great job.

7. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

I had a chance to shoot a few of those powder filled targets at OakTree a while back. Unless well hit, the paper sticker has a way of keeping the target intack. Very hard to break with a pattern fringe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.