1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

olympic shooters

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by culverken, Aug 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culverken

culverken Member

Does anyone know why guys like Leo Harrison or Harlan Campbell are not representing the USA at the olympics? I am not trying to take anything away from the guys who are there, but it seems that if the above mentioned gentlemen were there it would almost be a sure thing.

Regards,

Ken

2. Baber

Baber TS Member

Simple... They don't shoot Olympic events. I don't think they have ever tried out for an Olympic Team. I know that Leo and Harlan are great ATA shooters but there is a major degree of difficulty difference between Olympic Bunker Trap and ATA. If you ever have a chance shoot some bunker and you will see the difference for yourself.

I can not help to be reminded that once a major ATA shooter went to Fort Benning to try some Olympic Trap. I recall that he was asked to do a video by the NRA. Lasted one day. Left town. I was not there but people who were told me his name starts with an 'O'.

Tom

3. 870

870 Well-Known Member

Just my opinion here: I think if Leo or Harlan, or many others for that matter, applied themselves full time to Olympic Trap they would be right up there competitively with the current US team. Problem is, it is tough to devote the time to it unless you live near a bunker or are on a military team.

Yes, OT is harder than ATA, but that doesn't mean Leo etc. couldn't handle it. I'm sure Frank Little, and I believe possibly Stafford shot in the Olympics many years ago.

Tbaber: I'm guessing that the Olympics and the coverage (TV and internet) of the bunker events will cause an increase in the number of people looking into your sport. That would be great. There is a new bunker about an hour from me now, and I would really like to try it sometime.

4. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Same as you Ken...not looking to cause any crap here, but the financial dedication involved may be beyond what most people can justify. My understanding is that International experience is demanded of Olympic hopefuls...ie: Take a week off work (unpaid), pay your own flight to/expenses in Italy, shoot a score and come home. Oh yes, and by the way, do the same a month later to Cyprus... and again the month after to China...at which point we may, but not necessarily will, consider your suitability to represent your country. I take my hat off to those who rise to the challenge. Cheers-Graham.

5. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Great american trap shooters can and do make great intl trap shooters. Where do you think the juniors come from? They are all pulled from the ranks of ATA/PITA/SCTP.

So I'm certain that the really proficient trap shooters can make the transition given 3 things:
    1. access to a bunker (not that easy given there are so few in this country)
    2. enough training time to acquire the move necessary to break intl trap targes with consistency (very different than ATA, requires lower body)
    3. a new gun. you will need a flat shooting over/under.

I would LOVE to see more american trap shooters try the international version, it is fun and a lot different than what they normally shoot. One thing I know, their scores will be lower - when we hold our annual iron man event (we shoot everything at the club) the scores in bunker are the lowest average scores for any discipline.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

We have a small group of young and extremely talented international shooters.
    Some in the military, like Walton Eller. Their showing in the Olympics has been
    amazing with a gold, a silver, and a bronze, so far, with a good chance for a medal in Mens skeet. These events have always been dominated by the Europeans.
    Tom Garrigus, who won the Olympic Silver medal in trap 40 years ago probably made less money his entire career from shooting than his son, Bob, makes in one week on the PGA tour.

7. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

ATA speed 43mph, Int'l speed 95+mph

8. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

There's no money in it, whereas with American Trap, the Big Dogs win thousands a year in options, in addition to teaching clinics and making videos. I'm sure they could be as good or better than any American at international though if they applied themselves.

~Michael

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

I agree that if we shot bunker in this country and not ATA we would own the medals. The Bunker rules were the original rules in Italy. This is one of the reasons they have won so many medals at OT. If we shot OT like they do in Italy then there would be money like there is in ATA. I understand that Universities in Italy offer courses in bunker.

The big grip I have is with skeet. We should own the skeet medals but the NSSA changes the rules and made it easier. Its very easy to change a skeet field to Olympic Standards which would allow 1000's of training facilities all over the country but it will not happen because the skeeters want to see their high scores....

TB

10. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

Ken,

To answer you original question. USA Shooting has selection proceedures posted. For insance the current Olympic Shooters qualified by shooting the highest score(s) combined from a fall selection match and a spring selection match. To go to the show the shooter must have a MQS or minimum qualifying score.

It is open to all who wish to go for it. It's an individual decision. Should they have elect to do it.

Garry Barney

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

Garry is right... Everyone had the chance... its an open competition. The real issue is desire. Cory Cogdell made the move from Alaska to Texas so she could make her bid and she won the Bronze. There is another story about a diver that moved from California to Indiana to train for the Olympics. If you want it bad enough you will make the sacrifice. Look at Glenn Eller. Two Olympics and no medals. Joins the Army which mandates basic training etc. and wins the Gold.

TB

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

Oh... one other thing.... the idea that you can't shoot both is hogwash... Last year Mike Herman one of the top Bunkers shooters in the US ran a perfect 300 at an ATA shoot using his bunker gun. Thats 100 from the 16, 100 from the 27 and 5 pair of doubles.

TB

13. Jerbear

Jerbear TS Member

Heres a link to watch the mens final double trap. You must download the silverlight viewer. The video is over an hour and 14 minutes.

Jerbear

14. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Troutslayer

"ATA speed 43mph, Int'l speed 95+mph "

No, they're not that fast. More like 60-70 mph.

15. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Great american trap shooters can and do make great intl trap shooters. Where do you think the juniors come from? They are all pulled from the ranks of ATA/PITA/SCTP.

So I'm certain that the really proficient trap shooters can make the transition given 3 things:
    1. access to a bunker (not that easy given there are so few in this country)
    2. enough training time to acquire the move necessary to break intl trap targes with consistency (very different than ATA, requires lower body)
    3. a new gun. you will need a flat shooting over/under.

I would LOVE to see more american trap shooters try the international version, it is fun and a lot different than what they normally shoot. One thing I know, their scores will be lower - when we hold our annual iron man event (we shoot everything at the club) the scores in bunker are the lowest average scores for any discipline.

16. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

We have a small group of young and extremely talented international shooters.
    Some in the military, like Walton Eller. Their showing in the Olympics has been
    amazing with a gold, a silver, and a bronze, so far, with a good chance for a medal in Mens skeet. These events have always been dominated by the Europeans.
    Tom Garrigus, who won the Olympic Silver medal in trap 40 years ago probably made less money his entire career from shooting than his son, Bob, makes in one week on the PGA tour.

17. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

ATA speed 43mph, Int'l speed 95+mph

18. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

There's no money in it, whereas with American Trap, the Big Dogs win thousands a year in options, in addition to teaching clinics and making videos. I'm sure they could be as good or better than any American at international though if they applied themselves.

~Michael

19. Baber

Baber TS Member

I agree that if we shot bunker in this country and not ATA we would own the medals. The Bunker rules were the original rules in Italy. This is one of the reasons they have won so many medals at OT. If we shot OT like they do in Italy then there would be money like there is in ATA. I understand that Universities in Italy offer courses in bunker.

The big grip I have is with skeet. We should own the skeet medals but the NSSA changes the rules and made it easier. Its very easy to change a skeet field to Olympic Standards which would allow 1000's of training facilities all over the country but it will not happen because the skeeters want to see their high scores....

TB

20. Texas Crew'd

Texas Crew'd Member

Ken,

To answer you original question. USA Shooting has selection proceedures posted. For insance the current Olympic Shooters qualified by shooting the highest score(s) combined from a fall selection match and a spring selection match. To go to the show the shooter must have a MQS or minimum qualifying score.

It is open to all who wish to go for it. It's an individual decision. Should they have elect to do it.

Garry Barney

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.