1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympic Quota Places ???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by timb99, Sep 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Can someone explain to me, in simple terms, the concept of Olympic Quota Places?

I have read the link, above, and I'm still not sure what it means.

For example, what if none of the USA Men's Trapshooters shoot well enough in ISSF competitions to earn a quota place? Do we not get to send anyone to the Olympics for that event?

Confused...

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Deleted

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

In simplistic terms a quota place is in reality a bed in the Olympic village. IOC parcels out slots for athletes to each sport who in turn awards them to athletes. As I recall there are about 390 quota places for all shooting sports. This includes rifle, pistol and shotgun.

A country wins a quota slot by winning a medal at World Cups. We have not won any World Cups so we have no men's trap slots.

Currently we have no men's quota places so unless we win one at the PANAM games we will not be sending any Trapshooters to the men's even in London. We already have the women's place for both trap and skeet and both men's skeet slots and one Doube Trap.

Hope this is a wake up call to the trapshooting community. We don't have enough bunkers in this country train for this event.

Tom

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks Tom,

That's kind of what I thought. Hope the guys step it up and get some more quota spots. Time is running out.

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

We only have one more chance and that is at the PanAm games next month in Mexico

Tom

6. StonewallRacing

StonewallRacing Well-Known Member

Tom, your right on the money. We have to travel nearly 400 miles to the nearest bunker to our house.

I'd love to see a bunker or two at the new Homegrounds in Wisconsin that is about to start construction. Wisely, the WTA has allotted "space" for future expansion with room for several bunkers.

My fear is that the expansion will never happen due to finances and we will miss the window for 2016. My son loves shooting bunker and DT and would shoot it every week if he could.

I guess is we have to find some big corporate $$ to contribute to the facility to get a bunker built now.....

SW

7. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

Tom,

Hopefully that other DT Quota will be taken care of tomorrow!

Tim,

Said "hello" to Alistair Davis and his father today, nice folks.

Wish us luck....

Jeff Holguin

8. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Thanks Jeff. I'm sure they were delighted.

Best of luck to you. Break them all! We want to see you in London...at least on TV, anyway!

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

When I see $1.6 mil go to SCTP I wonder why we can't raise that type of money for bunkers . We could have built 20 Bunkers with that kind of money and started this country on the road to real world dominance in Target Shooting. We are doing ok in spite of the lack of facilities. We have won the Junior Girls Trap Gold the Last 2 years and are making progress in Skeet and Double Trap mail because of the Army programs but we should be doing a lot better in Trap. We have not won a mens medal since 1996 in Atlanta. We need facilities to make progress.

Tom

10. PAR8HED

PAR8HED Member

Tom,
    The excuse list is long and getting longer. It's to expensive to install and/or maintain. It's to difficult, nobody will want to shoot it. On and on. But considering the number of times I've had to explain the game, I'd say the basic problem is lack of education. Most simply don't know it exists and/or don't understand the differences between ATA and the bunker game.

Hal

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

We have found that the most profitable single field at our club is the bunker. More targets are shot on it than any other single field trap or skeet. The reasons are many. First is a very demanding game and people want the challenge. Next its covered so its out of the sun especially during the summer months and lastly we have a group of shooters that continually sell the game.

One last thing.... was speaking with the manager of the Silver Dollar club last week. He says his single most profitable field is the 5 Stand!

Tom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

olumpic quota places

quota places

what is an olympic quota slot

which countries have won olympic quota places in skeet shooting