1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

olympic double trap guns?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by sean justice, Apr 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

why do so many have the rib added halfway down the bbl, even Halkan has removed his 2005 rib and added a little shortie at the end.

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'd imagine it is for weight, but I've never shot olympic doubles.

ss

3. pheasantsgalore

pheasantsgalore Active Member

Thats right. Its all about weight, and dynamics, pure and simple...and speed..........Rob

4. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

It also helps??? to be able to see under the rib.. if you loose a visual on your 2nd target..

5. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The rib is used to fine tune the POI for the second shot of doubles. HMB

6. SilverShooter

SilverShooter TS Member

Check these out...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

Ain't nothing new - Ljutic did ribs like that on his guns a couple decades ago.

Nobody shoots off the rib anyway so how long does it have to be to check alignment on the gun? My only concern would be that they look a bit fragile for something that is transported a great deal. Of course the "Kewl Factor" is in action here too since many many bunker shooters are still flat rib folks. The Beretta even looks sorta like a little billboard - very kewl!

It is amusing to see the International shooters doing the same fad sh7t that ATA shooters went thru 20 or more years ago - OK, still are. hahaha But, hey, if it works go for it!!

JMO of course

Charlie

8. shannon391

shannon391 Active Member

That dude looks like he could kill the targets with his eyes!

9. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

That's Sheik Ahmed of UAE shooting for qualification before men's trap event in 2008 Olympics in Beijing. He's last Olympics before he retired. He travel with his private jets.

The kind of portings on his Beretta DT10 will not be legal for future Olympics.

10. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

As for lighter barrels in the Olympic double trap, Kim Rhode won 4 Olympics with her famous 26" MX-12.

11. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

i believe they were 28 now there 26 inch, this rib is only for doubles, reg bunker trap a flat rib is still best, even cory cogdell went to a flat rib after shooting a 2000/3, i just wonder if theres a benefit of the shortie, man i wish i was close to a bunker field.

12. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

That guy has one heck of a nose. Hope he don't close the barrels on it.

13. Les Greevy

Les Greevy TS Member

The short rib lets you see the first target sooner especially on station one. Quicker first shot gives more time for second.Same theory for the high rib. High short rib is a combination of both.
    Les

14. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Well.. I went out to Kerrville with one of everything Perazzi made..From a MX2005 to a flatrib.. Seeing as my hold point..and 90% of the Olympic shooters hold on the edge of the house.. on in back of it.. The target is ALWAY on top of the rib.. regardless of what height rib you shoot..

You have the same amount of time to see the target..from the time you call PULL.. My best guess..is whatever rib you can "get into".. making you and the gun one with your soul.. is the one that will work best for you..

For me.. the early MX-8 step rib seems to work best..with the flat rib right behind.. The 3 step MX-10 sporting rib is right in there... While I did not fare well with the MX2005/MX2008 or the DB-81.. in bunker.. I have other friends who shot all.. excellent..

When shooters all come in the same size and weight.. so will the guns we shoot.. Until then.. to each.. his/her own..

15. perazziuser

perazziuser Active Member

Les - Haven't seen you around..... I happen to be having more trouble on A2 now more than anywhere else. It has gotten so bad that I now shoot left to right on post 2, scheme A. I used to go back and forth depending on the steepness of the high bird, but decided to just simplify. It's working for now. I never would've thought I could lose a target under a MX2005 rib!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.