1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympic colored targets?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smsnyder, Feb 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Any reason why ATA don't use those clay targets that explode into colors like the olympic's do? Seens it would be easier to see hits. It would probably make the sport more exciting.

2. smsnyder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgB8oml28KY&feature=related

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

This is America, we do things different. HMB

4. capvan

capvan Active Member

Those targets are way cool. I think it would increase spectator interest a lot. Just a gimmick, but neat...

cap

5. smsnyder

i tied to post a you tube clip on color targets exploding. Be cool to use exploding colored targets in shoot offs.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Do you realize that those "exploding" targets cost very much more than normal targets?

Can you imagine the bitching and moaning that will follow a price increase because of them?

7. smsnyder

How much do they cost compared to regular targets?

8. Baber

Baber TS Member

Flash targets are 3 to 4 times the cost of regular targets. they are only used in the shoot off rounds of Olypic Trap and skeet.

Tom

9. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

And, I think if an event is going to be televised. Don't know if that is still the case.

------

I looked it up and the televised wording could not be found.

10. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

They also have a tendency to not fly the same as regular targets.

11. Barry

Barry Member

You can make them yourself by getting a bottle of childrens powdered water color paint. Mix it w/ water to the consistency of a paste and coat the underside inside of the clay. Let it dry and you have a flash target. It adds a little weight, but not enough to make a real difference.

12. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

One reason

EXPENSIVE!

Plus, they only use them for the final shoot-off rounds in International.

13. Smiley

Smiley Member

The reason for Flash Targets are so that the televised finals look more spectacular and this is one way of getting people interested, if you see it in action at a final you will be quite impressed,they are a little heavier as the underside has a pocket of powder in it that gives the flash effect.As our club hosts the Australian ISSF nationals we use them only in finals as they are expensive.

14. smsnyder

Were do you buy these targets? Would like to have special event using these targets. Thanks

15. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Another consideration.

How many times have you walked out on the field and seen whole targets lying on the ground that show several pellet hits but never broke??

It is possible to have a pellet hit a flash target and break the powder and score a hit but the target never breaks.

This is a rule variation unique to flash targets.

The normal rule is a visible piece is required to register a dead target. But when you use flash tagets the "dead or hit" requirement is changed to require only powder be visible.

You can make them yourself using talcum and newspaper glued under the dome. Be a fun project for some crappy rainy day. The weight change is not material enough to alter flight characteristics (at least not in international trap or skeet).

16. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

"Were do you buy these targets? Would like to have special event using these targets."

Well it appears that White Flyer sells these targets. They also appear to have the the powder holder attached to the top of the target. At least that is the way it seems in the picture.

Bob Lawless

[​IMG]

17. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Flash targets handmade using Chalk Line Powder.

The club owner needed a video made and he wanted the target hits to standout.

A short video of some of the hits.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BxabaGe9P8?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-BxabaGe9P8?fs=1&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>

18. smsnyder

like it

19. Virgil

Virgil Member

About a year ago, I talked to a Josh Taylor who was/is the eastern sales representative for White Flyer which is a division of Reagent Chemical and Research. I was asking him about the White Flyer flash target and their availability. He did indicate that they were costly perhaps about 4x the regular target. He said that you can make your own if you want a few for special effects. His suggestion was to fill the depression on top of a regular target with a powder and then put a piece of tape over it. I have done this and it works very well. I have used flour, chalk line powder, and paint powder. I used 3" wide masking tape to cover the powder--a 3" long piece is about right. I don't know if these would work in automatic traps but they do work well in my Lincoln 3/4 cock traps. These targets add a little wrinkle for fun and games. There have been some previous posts on this forum relating to the same. Hope it works for you if you try it.

Virgil

20. Shooting Sailor

Shooting Sailor Well-Known Member

We made these years ago by putting poster paint powder in the top, laying a bead of white glue on the rim, then laying a circle of light paper on top, tamping it down for a secure fit, then putting them to dry. They load the same as any other target in our machines. If you are having a game day, you can put one at different levels in each cylinder of the carousel and if it is broken by a shooter, they get a special reward. This can be a beer at the end of the days shooting, double the prize you are shooting for, or whatever else you can come up with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

trap shooting colored targets