1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympic Bunker Trap In Arizona

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by OlympicTrapShooter, May 6, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OlympicTrapShooter

OlympicTrapShooter TS Member

Believe it or not, thanks to a select few, this project is started. The bunker trench is being dug. Phase 1 donations have been received which covers the trench and the complete bunker minus the traps.

We are asking everyone that is interested in shooting International Bunker Trap in Arizona to contribute to the ARS 35-149 (tax deductable) fund.

This bunker has been started because of the generousity of 4 investors. For those of you that would like to shoot International Bunker Trap in Arizona "WE NEED YOUR GENEROUS SUPPORT"

I have not been able to attach the brochure that is being circulated in the Phoenix area. PLEASE EMAIL ME ckarvanek@cox.net

Ben Avery is located in North Phoenix (close to Tromonto and Anthem)

For more information PLEASE EMAIL ME AT CKARVANEK@COX.NET OR CADRY GENENA AT CRESCENTDV@AOL.COM

For those of you who live in a cold weather climate; the weather in Arizona averages 78 degrees in January.

COME SHOOT WITH US!

PLEASE EMAIL ME AT CKARVANEK@COX.NET OR CADRY GENENA AT CRESCENTDV@AOL.COM

2. Joe Potosky

Joe Potosky Well-Known Member

Location?

3. OlympicTrapShooter

Ben Avery Clay Target Center

4. Just-A-Shooter

Just-A-Shooter Member

How about some details. Ben Avery is state owned. Who is controlling the 501C.3? Who do you represent in this? Who will run the bunker facility?

5. MX/MT

MX/MT TS Member

That's great news!

So much for all the naysayers that kept saying you were full of it!

Please keep us updated, I would love to come out and shoot when the targets start flying!

6. OlympicTrapShooter

CORRECTION! THE DONATION IS NOT A 501(C(3)HOWEVER IT IS AN ARS 35-149 BROCHURE DESCRIBING THE BUNKER HAS THE TAX INFORMATION. PLEASE EMAIL ME FOR THE BROCHURE. SORRY ALL FOR THE INCONVENIENCE!

7. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

TTT

8. OlympicTrapShooter

To everyone sending emails. Unless they are too specific please post the comments on here. I am getting a lot of the same emails. You will probably help answer someone elses question. Thanks all

9. OlympicTrapShooter

10. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Brochure covering this new bunker is available for download at www.shootingbunker.com. It's a 700k PDF file.

- - Bill

11. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Dear Professor, what color is the sky in your world?

"This has disaster written all over it."

I don't consider the contruction of a new bunker facility to be a disaster in any sense. If you don't want to contribute funds or time then feel free to sit on the sidelines and watch while others do the heavy lifting. Philanthropy lives on despite your protestations. Others are willing to help our "little" sport survive and continue to produce winners at the international level. Teenagers eventually become world and olympic champions and this country has a rich history of making them out of nothing.

Methinks you are missing the point.

But it was a good rant so I'll give you full points for that.......

Bill - thanks for putting up the brochure. I very much enjoyed your company last weekend.

12. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Professor G,

I don't know if I have ever seen a more negative response to something that should excite ALL trapshooters; construction of a new shooting range in this time of multiple closures of facilities around the country. I commend this young shooter and the backers he has drawn in so far, and I want to personally thank him for helping expand the potential new shooters this field might bring in. I say "might", because you say the older shooters that get "their hats handed to them" will probably drop off from shooting this fun discipline, but I like to think postively about the possibilities that this new range might garner more interest from our future shooters that will take over for us and continue to help promote this sport instead of always looking at the glass as half empty.

I always want to think about the positive aspects of the sports and anything that can be done to expand on what the past generations of shooters have built, and that can only be a good thing. I only wish I was closer to Ben Avery so I might be a part of this facility and this new bunker set-up they are building there. I am from a small club 3 hours south of the Kerrville facility and I see from this website as well as a few other sites I visit, what Jack Burch and his wife has done to build a "world-class" training center, and how some of the existing ATA shooters have jumped on the bunker scene there as well as at the San Antonio Gun Club who also just installed a bunker range at their site within the last year. They (SAGC) and the Kerrville range are holding combined 2-day shoots and they draw quite a few new participants into the bunker game. Even a small club just outside of Lake Jackson Texas (Greenwood Gun Club) built a bunker range a few years ago and I got a chance to shoot a few rounds down there while at a benefit shoot, so I know how much fun and enjoyable the game bunker really is.

The negative attitude that you project has been seen at some shooting ranges that were just getting into the 5-stand and sporting clays fields as this game was just getting started and people like you were saying the same thing; that good money was being thrown away on a game that people would not take to, and look at how those sports have increased the shotgunners around the country.

Just my opinion, but I guess I am a more positive person than you. Negative attitudes don't really have any place in the shooting sports.

Mike* (MH*)

13. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Well stated Mike, thank you. I was too disgusted with Mr. Professor's remarks to respond earlier. It must feel good to run your mouth off spewing such venom and not have to sign your name. I sent my $100 a couple of days ago and wish it had been more. I look forward to shooting or at least seeing the bunker when I get back to Mesa next winter and wish them all the best with the efforts that they are making at Ben Avery. Shoot well and often while we can, Bob

14. Mike Hessong* (MH*)

Mike Hessong* (MH*) Active Member

Bob,

Thanks, I was like you, I had to really think about what I was going to say first because while reading that thread my blood pressure probably spiked 20 or 30 points before finishing it. I just can't stand negative people and I think the shooting sports could be a lot better served if people would all promote the sport more like young Mr. Karvanek, than just running down what maybe many others would see as a great stride forward.

Good luck to Ben Avery and the new bunker range and congratulations to a campaign to help build this new range. I had followed the earlier thread from last year when young Mr. Karvanek proposed the first pass at funding as well as meeting with the higher ups at all of the state levels that needed to be, so this project could get off the ground. I know a little about what he has gone thru due to kind of doing the same thing by writing grants and getting donations to help build our new club here in Victoria, Texas. When dealing with state agencies and entities like that, the amount of paperwork involved would most likely drown the average person, but someone with a positive attitude will be smart enough to keep his head above water and continue on til he sees the job done.

Good luck again to Ben Avery and Mr. Karvanek,

Mike Hessong* (MH*)

President- Victoria (Texas) Skeet and Trap Club

15. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

I understand the new manager of Ben Avery has experience with the international shooting sports and enthusiastically supports the bunker construction. He is looking forward to its completion as an additional asset to Ben Avery.

Chuck

16. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I have been told that an expansion of the trap line is also part of the plans for the Ben Avery Clay Target Center, this is going to end up being the best all around facility in the State if they keep it up, opps I'm sorry it already is ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

17. OlympicTrapShooter

This message has been deleted due to kind requests of others.

18. OlympicTrapShooter

BUNKER UPDATE:

ENOUGH MONEY HAS BEEN DONATED TO COMPLETELY BUILD THE BUNKER WITHOUT THE TRAPS. ADDITIONAL MONEY HAS BEEN COLLECTED TO GO TOWARDS THE TRAPS. WE ARE STILL AWAYS, AWAY TO COVER THE COSTS OF THE TRAPS.

WE STILL NEED YOUR DONATIONS! THANK YOU ALL THAT HAVE DONATED ALREADY!

CHASE KARVANEK

19. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

Interesting. I didn't realize it was a "teenager" that had put this together and been able to accomplish so much of the project to date working with the State and Ben Avery. He certainly has demonstrated a lot more maturity and civility than some of us use that frequent this site. I wish him and all of those involved in moving this project forward the very best of success. We certainly need to keep promoting the shooting sports and it's great to have some young people so involved. It certainly gives you hope that perhaps we have some better thinking people coming along than we we are looking at presently running the show in our Country. Shoot well and often while we can, Bob

20. pufftarget

pufftarget Active Member

I've been an interested observer to the effort to buil a bunker at Ben Avery for some two years now; long before the bunker threads by young Mr. Karvanek. Cadry Genena has been negotiating with Ben Avery for some two years now and with the stabilizinfg of Ben Avery management and Arizona Fish and Game involvement with the club, he has finally been able to to put forth a plan and begin fund raising. The layout of the bunker to suit the club's configuration was done and funds to complete the bunker preporatory to purchasing machines is complete and the construction started. A tax deductible fund has been set up to purchase machines and is partially funded with a viable plan to move to completion.

As to professor G's comments about wannabes, we are all wannabees at some stage with most of us being never-will-bes. But that doesn't diminish our desire to challenge ourselves by shooting the bunker. Sure, there is probably an element of self interest in wanting to build a bunker. Charley Wenzel, Tom Baber, Les Greevy, Dave Senter and the many, many others who have been instrumental in having bunkers built may indeed have had a self interest but it doesn't diminish the fact that they got built and they are providing the opportunity for that one wannabe in a hundred to become a champion.

As for building it on a public facility, Mr. Genena has a lifetime in project development and was co-developer with the Curtis family of the Las Vegas bunker. Mr Genena will protect the interests of those contributing to funding the machines. As noted, Cadry can be reached directly at crescentdv@aol.com.

It always surprises me how well we do at a world level, with the minimal opportunities our shooters have. Any chance to increase that opportunity, no matter how small should be cause for rejoicing not negativity.

I've seen a lot of puffery, name dropping ond other efforts to increase one''s self importance. particularly as relates to International trap and this site. But a salute goes out to those who quietly labor in the trenches to promote the sport and give that wannabe a chance.

It is extremely difficult to achieve prominence in the international shooting sports. I spoke with an Olympic bronze medalist in skeet and he was lamenting the fact that his career was at an end and he had only the one Olympic medal to show for it. I reminded him that skeet had been an Olympic sport only since , I believe 1972, so he was among only 30 people to date in the history of the sport to have any kind of Olympic skeet medal. Kinda put it in perspective relative to the wannabes.

Chuck

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

dave senter and international trap

dave senter international trap

pheoenix gun club bunker airizona

senior olymic trap and dave senter