1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympic Arms AR-15 opinions?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BILL GRILL, Sep 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

So you Assult rifle guys, what's your opinion of olympic arms ar-15? 223 with 17" barrel shot a couple boxes of sheels. Thanks, Bill

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with them. You can't believe all the neagtives you read about the various AR rifles. Its just like cars/trucks. People rave about the ones they have and belittle the competition. The Olympic AR's are no different. Of course the question is sort of realitive. I mean what are you gonna use it for? Are you planning on upgrading parts right away? How many rounds will you honestly be shooting thru it? I have an entry level Stag Arms Model#2. Their Lifetime warranty is what sold me and the fact they have been building M16/AR15 parts for the military since the Vietnam war. Price would also certainly be something to consider too. I have seen the Stag AR's for as little as $725 new. Thats pretty good for a lifetime warranty rifle. My next AR which is gonna happen real soon, is gonna be a hand built(by me) from the ground up. I'm gonna use the parts i want instead of replacing later. I think i can build one with better parts for roughly $650. I have heard people getting them done for less than that. Of course these prices would be for an entry level quality gun.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

Here's a picture of an Olympic receiver that I built up from parts. 1/2 hole at 100. Bulge.

[​IMG]

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The biggest POS on the market. Lots of documented failures and issues. I personally witnessed three of them fail on the same day last fall. They all had less than 50rounds down the pipe prior to failure. They were all using standard mil surplus brass cased ammo.

Buy something proven like a DPMS, Rock River, Stag, etc... The resale is much better when you're tired of feeding them.

ss

5. grntitan

SS--Can you elaborate on failure? What went wrong after just 50 rounds?

6. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I'm no AR expert by any means, but the failures were such that the bolt locked up and refused to rotate in two of them. They spent quite some time trying to get the bolts freed up with no avail. They took them back and traded them for other AR's of different makes and had no more problems. The third shooter was so p.o. (he saw the other two fail earlier), he just threw his in the case and headed back to the store to get his $$ back.

One of the local clubs has a rifle range that I visit from time to time and they all tell me to buy quality when it comes to AR's. One of shooters competes with his AR and he has over 500K rounds through his. Just normal routine mainience and a bolt and barrel every now and then. He shoots a DPMS!

ss

7. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Olys are considered one of the lower grade AR15s. They're had spotty quality for years. Particularly with inner parts.

In addition, many of their older guns were made with cast uppers and lowers, not forged. In fact, Oly has a webpage (see link) showing the difference between a cast and forged lower receiver. If anyone buys a used off brand or old SGW or Oly, check for this. Cast receivers should bring a lot less money. The current Olys all have forged receivers.

On the other hand, their SUM (Stainless Ultra Match) barrel is one of their bright spots.

Another bright spot is with some of their AR15s chambered for pistol cartridges. Oly was one of the first companies doing this. Their 9mm and 45 ACP are pretty decent. No experience with their 40 or 10mm. I think their .22 LR is awful.

I have some Olys, including pre-Oly SGW and SGW/Oly, all with forged receivers. Still have some of the them. All have had every internal part replaced by Colt, FN or other quality parts. Without exception all eventually had reliability issues until the innards were replaced.

My old Oly upper with the Stainless Ultra Match barrel was updated with a free floating forend and a replacement bolt and carrier. I gave it to my son, who uses it for varmint hunting. It's a tack driver. The flat top upper predates the Picatinny spec, because Oly was one of the first to even put a Weaver pattern flat top on the market. Consequently, it's height is slightly different so AR15 rings are too tall for it. This is something to think about with older Oly flat tops. They can be readily identified by having fewer cross slots.

If you want to get an Oly, fine, but don't pay too much for it. You should be paying substantially less than other makes, because you are getting less than other makes. Especially in resale value.

If you want a budget AR15 that is more reliable than the Oly, check into Del-Ton. These are competent, reliable, budget AR15s. My son and I have some of their lowers, and friends have complete guns.

8. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    <i>"One of shooters competes with his AR and he has over 500K rounds through his. Just normal routine mainience and a bolt and barrel every now and then. He shoots a DPMS!"</i>

Considering match barrels are good for at least 5K and chrome barrels for around 10K rounds, a barrel "every now and then" is an understatement.

9. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I learned a lot from this post. Thx Bill & all that posted. What about the LWRC. Does any one have an opinion. ( I own one and know nothing about them)

10. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

Probably too late to help, but here's this.

[​IMG]

11. oz

oz Active Member

if you really want some answers go to ar15.com oz

12. grntitan

I learned alot too. Thanks for the chart 'stokinpls'. That is very interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

olympic sum barrel opinions