1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Olympians 2nd class shooters at Tuscon Grand?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by goatskin, Dec 31, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

At the Spring Grand in Tuscon, there is $10,000 to be won for shooting 400 caps, running the last 100 ... unless you are a present or former Olympic shooter.

WTF is THAT about?

Bob

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I doubt it was anything personal. The money put up is most likely on an insurance policy, and the insurance underwriter was probably the one that specified the exclusion of Olympians. I doubt any club would put their own money up for something like this, and since they are buying a policy, I doubt they could care less who wins it, but they probably couldn't get the policy without the exclusion. I supposed Olympians would be considered "professional" shooters, and by its definition, ATA is (or is supposed to be) and "amateur" sport. I'm sure there are similar exclusions on those "hole-in-one" competitions for PGA players...

3. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I'm sure it wasn't personal, and it was indeed specified that the proceeds would be from an insurance policy. But it IS, pretty clearly, a dirty thumb in the eye.

Not that I think it is more than barely, vaguely, theoretically possible for a trench shooter to run a specified 100, it is bad underwriting too ... not to exclude TEAM members, too.

A chicken-shooter nobody has ever heard of that has properly 'groomed' his 21yd average makes more money shooting than an suburban full of Olympians - and is more likely to run'em, too.

Bob

4. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Does the designation "Olympic shooter" means those once on and currently on any Olympic shooting team?

5. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Page 4, Rules & Conditions: (6) <i>"All current or former Olympic skeet or trap shooters are excluded to participate in the contest. ... </i>

Bob

6. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

Maybe they are afraid Kim Rhode will drive over from CA to pick up a little spending money???

There has to be a reason and the insurance policy mentioned above sounds as good as any.

7. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

This was found in the program.

"The $10,000 handicap purse is provided through a separate insurance policy paid for by the Sponsors, Lethos, Inc, and Tucson Trap and Skeet Club as a service to the members and guests during the 2009 Spring Grand American Handicap Championship."

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Preexisting condition. One of those things that only make sense if you're uninformed. There are several ATA shooters who break 100's from handicap with relative regularity that will be shooting this shoot.

If I were an Olympian I'd be flattered.

9. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

correct Barry , Olympians should be flattered and the insurance company should be nervous

10. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

The rule seems to be a very simple one, for whatever reason thats the way it is ... The club has nothing to lose so its obviously been added by whoever has to write the check when it happens, and who believes all of the Olympic hype ...
    Imagine some Olympian showing up and shooting on the 22 yardline per ATA rules and they get lucky ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

11. dropdeaded

dropdeaded TS Member

If they mean only shooters who have actually shot at the Olympics, this only excludes a handful of male shooters going back say 12 years and I'm not sure if any of them shoot ATA. Excluding members or past members of the National team would be a different story, as many of them still shoot ATA. Eddie.

12. Baber

Baber TS Member

Guys....

This is aimed at one person.... Ray Stafford. I recall that he shot the 1968 Olympic. The common misconception was that he won the Silver medal. Tom Garigus actually did.

Ray Stafford is the only active male ATA shooter that meets this criteria.

TB

13. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

I don't think malice is involved, and I'd guess the 6pt pica in the REAL insurance policy is more detailed about exclusions - perhaps including National Team(s), Development Team, Resident Shooters, etc. - I just thought it was a pretty gratuitous, if unintended, slam.

Before the underwriter rated the policy, I'm sure they knew of every 100 that had ever been shot at Tuscon (and elsewhere in January) and by whom, when, ... and the premium was calculated on that basis.

Whether the underwriter knows that it's anti-chance for ANY bunker-shooter to clean 100 on a specified day is another issue ... I just found the Olympic exclusion both curious and smelled bad.

Bob

14. higun

higun Member

Any idea what the premium would be for the policy?

15. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

'Improbable Event' premiums are pretty healthy, a third or 40%, I'd think, and are frequently co-insured.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.