1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Olivea LCD TV?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by richrob, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrob

richrob TS Member

I was at the store and they had a 42" 1080p LCD for $850. Price seems good, but how is the TV?

Is this a good buy or somthing to stay away from?

Thanks, Rich

2. dfrank7262

dfrank7262 TS Member

I have an Olevia flat-screen HDTV in my camper, and have had it for over a year now. Picture quality is really good and I haven't had any problems with it at all. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one, at this point in time.

Dana

3. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

$850 for a 42" 1080p? Run do not walk and get it. Almost all of the non major brands(Vizeo, Oleivea, etc) of LCD tv's are made by the same manufacturer with different names on them.

Eric

4. Juno

Juno TS Member

Rich, I know people who own this brand. I don't know antone who's had problems with it. I stated in an earlier thread that comcast techs will recommend Vizio. It's not that much more expensive the Olivea, and the picture quality is a little better. Buy extended warranty no matter which brand you get.

Juno

5. AJ100

AJ100 TS Member

Which store? LOL

AJ100

6. richrob

richrob TS Member

I went out and bought it at Walmart. Picture looks good, I need to make a few more adjustments with the contrast and whatnot. The contrast ratio isnt quite as good as the Sony, but from what I am seeing its better than the Vizio and Insigna.

It might be going back because its too big for my bedroom, but if I keep it I have 15 days to buy the extended warrenty, somthing like $58 for 2 years is that a must have?

Thanks, Rich

7. Juno

Juno TS Member

The picture might be better then insignia but not better the Vizio. Vizio has at least a 170 degree viewing angle. Yes, that warranty is a must have. It's worth $58 to be able to return and get a full refund if something goes wrong within 2 years. Rich, you can't ask people at Walmart about quality of TV's, and they don't know all the things than can go wrong with modern technology.

8. fritzi93

fritzi93 TS Member

It's true that there are only a handful of manufacturers for the display panels themselves. Brand means nothing there. Where the top-end TVs have been better is in the electronics, i.e. filters and scaling. This is less important than hitherto, as the second-tier units are pretty good now. The audio as well.

I urge you to go to the link above and learn how to calibrate your TV *PROPERLY*. I'm a video hobbyist and cringe when I see a badly adjusted set, which is all the time. I'd venture to say not one person in twenty has their set adjusted properly.

Oh, factory settings, you say? They're for the showroom floor. High gamma attracts the eye and looks better under fluorescents. The average ignorant buyer thinks an overly bright set must be better, so the makers oblige. Don't settle for the default settings.

Settings are named confusingly. Brightness is more properly called "black level", and contrast actually controls peak "highlights".

9. richrob

richrob TS Member

Thanks for the link, I thought I had it close but aparently it gets much better. -Rich

10. FLIP

FLIP Member

olivea sucks! if you have to send it back for replacement, just what i have found out. took 90 days. it was a 32" from Kmart for $500 good luck
    flip

11. DENNISMASTROLIA1

DENNISMASTROLIA1 Active Member

Vizio is PURE JUNK!!! We had two of them purchased at Costco Wholesale club--Both went bad and after the 90 day store warranty the Vizio service will ask you to send them a picture of the problem--yes a picture-- and now after a month they will want you to ship the T.V. to CA.at YOUR cost of $300.00 for fixing--then $300.00 additionally for them to ship it back to you--Most all of the T.Vs are mass produced in China--Buy Sony or Sharp and you will be better in the long run.That's my story.