1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Olin Corp union members shoot selves in head

Discussion in 'Politics, Elections & Legislation' started by wireguy, Nov 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

So, about that union job security…

Did the Machinists' union help its members shoot themselves in the feet?

Posted by LaborUnionReport (Profile)

Thursday, November 4th at 5:00PM EDT

Talk about a rocky relationship ending badly…

First, the union boss scolded his members for sharing information with their co-workers about what was going on behind closed doors at the bargaining table. Then, a couple of weeks ago, some individual(s) beat up the union boss.

Now, things are going to get a lot more tense in East Alton, Illinois. On Wednesday, after workers represented by the International Association of Machinists voted down a contract offer for the second time, they learned that their employer was not bluffing about moving their jobs to Mississippi.

The Olin Corp. said Wednesday that it will put its money where its mouth is — in Mississippi.

A day after union workers rejected for a second time a contract that might have saved their jobs, the Metro East company told them it was moving about 1,000 ammunition production jobs from Metro East to Oxford, Miss.

As members of the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers District 9 left the East Alton catering hall where the ballots were tallied Tuesday night, more than a few of the employees ventured that Olin was bluffing.

The company, they maintained, had no intention of following through on its threat to move their jobs. On Wednesday, Olin called their bluff by announcing that it would build a 500,000-square-foot facility when it moves its ammunitions operations.

According to an Olin news release, Mississippi provided “significant incentives” to entice the manufacturer to expand production near a current Olin plant.

Joseph Rupp, the chairman, president and CEO of Clayton-based Olin, pointed the finger at the workers’ failure to accept a contract that guaranteed seven years of job security in exchange for reductions in vacation time, an elimination of a matching company contribution to retirement plans and other incentives.

“While I am disappointed that employees … chose to reject a proposal that would have allowed us to remain competitive in East Alton, we look forward to expanding our existing operations in Mississippi,” Rupp said in a prepared statement.

Given that the Machinists’ is the same union that thought Boeing was bluffing about moving to South Carolina last year, ya just gotta wonder if there’s any correlation between the union’s job performance as a union and the newly formed Union of Unemployed…

2. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

HOORAY for Olin. Unions need to learn their place.

In this economy, better to compromise a little and keep your job if like living indoors and eating every day.

3. stokinpls

stokinpls Well-Known Member

They even brought in Durbin, Quinn and another lackey to try to smooth things over. If only they'd have brought in Blagojevich too, they could have produced a sit-com.

4. Dahaub

Dahaub Active Member

Incentives?????? Cutting your vacation time and the owners portion of 401 k money? Incentives?????? What planet are you from? Those are the exact things all you pro business employers do. they steal from their employees and call it encentives. What a joke. If they do leave the state for Mississippi wages and employees I hope they ban the sale of their products in this state.

5. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Were any of you posting on this thread at the union meetings, or on the negotiating committee? Or have you worked for the company, union or management? Do you know all the facts? Or do you just want to spue some hearsay bullshit? Just curios.

Wayne

6. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

These three kids are sitting around talking, and the first kid says, "My dad is so fast, he can shoot an arrow down range and run down there to see where it lands".

The second little kid says, "That's nothing, my dad is so fast that when he goes to sleep at night and turns off the lights, he can be in bed before the room gets dark".

The third little kid says, "I got all you guys beat. My dad is in the Teamsters. He's so fast that when he gets off of work at 4:30, he's home by 2:15".

Brought to you by the non union workers of America. Unlike you, I work for a living.

7. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

If my memory serves me right. I believe that back around 1980 there was an ugly fight between John Olin (the owner of Winchester) and the unions at the New Haven, Connecticut plant. This caused Olin to get out of the gun business and created U.S. Repeating Arms Co. who made Winchester rifles and shotguns under license from Olin Corp. The New Haven plant was closed in 2006 and now the ammunition plant closes and moves out of Alton, Ill.

I am not anti union, but people need to remember the Golden Rule:

Whoever has the gold makes the rules.

8. kbud

kbud Member

WOW YSR, I didn't realize I didn't work for a living. I go to a job site 40 hours a week, bring home a check for my family every Friday, and pay my taxes, just what do you call that?

9. crusha

crusha TS Member

Um, Dahaub...I know that in your 1964 union-entitlement mentality, you've been taught to think that "incentives" are always synonymous with "benefits," ie, something the workers get.

Let me bring you up to speed on the 21st century meaning of the term: "incentives" are what a geographic region, including its workers, provide a company in order to entice it to stay there and _not_ can their azzes.

Glad I could help clear that up. (Too late to help the boys in East Alton; but after all...nobody ever accused Illinois union kool aid drinkers of being smart).

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

dumblebub:

Olin closed up 15 cents today at $19.84/share. For less than $20 bucks a pop, you can be a shareholder/investor/owner. Buy enough shares and you can elect yourself to a seat on the board of directors where you can personally vote on issues like moving the plant or not.

Of course, as a board member, you'll also have a fiduciary duty (that means a legal responsibility) to ALL shareholders regarding the company's financial performance.

You have a choice. Invest in the company and put YOUR money at risk or stay under the porch and bark about how you think other people should handle THEIR money.

sissy

11. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

In the 50's, 60's and 70's the middle class in the U.S. was quite large. Many people enjoyed good pay and benefits. Unions were 100% responsible for this phenomenon. Unions negotiated these things for their members and other employers raised pay and benefits for their employees in an effort to prevent them going union. The past 20 to 30 years union membership has been shrinking. So has the middle class and family incomes (relative to inflation). A word of advice, be careful what you ask for, you may get it. Those who rejoice at union defeats should remember, YOU'RE NEXT!!!

Buz

12. crusha

crusha TS Member

Unions are responsible for helping drive these jobs offshore, too. You really only have two choices: have the industry here, and a more moderate wage level...or send it away.

It sucks, but that's the deal. I know it would be nice to go back to the "work for 30 years / get paid for 60 years" days again. But the choice we have to make is, do we want to _have_ these industries in America or not?

And the stance of the unions seems to be, "If we can't have the same deal as the guy who retired 10 years ago, then hell with it - we're closing this place down."

They still think they're drawing from a bottomless well.

13. ysr_racer

ysr_racer Active Member

I'd rather have 90% of something, than 100% of NOTHING.

14. Ljutic 4 Ice

Ljutic 4 Ice TS Member

I've been a member of this site for about the last five years. I have been able to learn more about shooting clays and make quite a few new friends. I have bought a few things and planned to try to sell some guns in the coming weeks.

ysr_racer at the age of 19, I went to work in small sawmill in the town I live in Oregon. That sawmill was union, and I worked there 16 yrs till it was closed by the tree huggers/Spotted Owls. I worked the dropsorter, standing on cement slap with snow and ice, below zero, frozen lumber and sliding from 6' above. If you think I didn't work for a living, You Can Kiss My Ass.

At 37, I went back to college to get a Criminal Justice degree. I wanted to help out others and have a little job security. I went to work for one of the largest county in the state. You guessed it, I was union. Years of education and training so I can stop some guy racing through school zone or construction sight, only to possibly be shot after asking for license,insurance and registration. For 12 hours a day I worked to make a living, and risk my life, So Kiss My Ass.

Five years ago I moved back home because my parents were dying. I work for the state now, one of those f*%king Government union slugs(so I read here on TS.com). The state has froze my pay, took away a step, straight time for holidays and is making me take 14 furlough days this year and next. I work 9 hours a day making a living supervising adult male offenders. I walk into a area that houses 100 inmates, and it's up to me to make sure they're safe, behave, and don't commit new crimes. That's 100 to 1, and I don't work for a living, Again, Kiss My Ass.

That 31 years working as a union worker. I'm 50 now and have 17 yrs till I can retire. Will there be SS by then, or my pension, I can't answer that. Yes, we signed that contract to save our jobs. There's those incentives buzz-gun that you asked about. I'm not looking for symphany or atta boys, but respect would be nice. My parents both died last year 2 months apart. I can go else where to work, and I may have too. I've done it before. This may be my last post, I'm not sure yet. I'm pretty thick skinned, but one can only be insulted so much. I've never been told who to vote for, use my badge for power, and I don't see me getting 60 yrs worth of pay. Thanks David

15. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

Ljutic 4 Ice............Great post. Thank you for taking the time to enlighten some. Of course they won't care, but at least you had your say.

Hauxfan!

16. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Congratulations Mississippi.
    Just curious...what did Alton Ill. offer Olin to stay...??
    I can't believe a bunch of dumb rednecks outsmarted those slick Illinois politicians.

17. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

I drive by 3 vacant factories everyday that at one time provided good above average wages to their employees and had for a number of years. They were privately and locally owned. Much to the chagrin of the older employees the young "we know better" voted in a union in all three companies. With strikes every three years over a new contract, enough finally became enough. The companies said we can't do more, unions said yes you will or we go on strike. Companies said if you go on strike just keep going because we will close our doors, no bluff just fact. Company # one gone 15 yrs, #2 gone 10 yrs and #3 gone 5yrs. These companies not only provide jobs and benefits to their employees they were also the largest taypayers in and to the community. They were also one of the largest contributors to local charities. Union greed not only cost all the employees their job but it hurt the community around them. Those employees now work if they can get it at a much lower rate or they moved out of the area and many out of the state. The community has never recovered. The closing of a plant affects many more then just the union employees but who cares with the "me first attitude".

Moral of the story don't always judge a employer by what your out of town union bosses tell you. For all your success stories I can show you vacant factories businesses all over this state that closed because of union demands.

So who wins!!!! NOBODY

Don

18. porky

porky TS Member

Aren't the big unions the ones who contributed 86 million to this last election and are now looking for a bail out for their pensions because they spent the monies in them. Sounds to me as if the union bosses are the ones who need to be strung up. The union workers and non union workers on this site need to realize that the real enemy is their leaders at the union headquarters,as well as politicians at federal and state levels. Divide and conquer, that's the old strategy.

19. luckyshot

luckyshot TS Member

just wondering what pay and bennies would be if there would be no unions to begin with? i know there are situations that people see that give unions a bad rap. but im telling you folks without a union where i work we wouldnt be making shit. stop bashing the union workers as a whole.i take it personally, and frankly if you dont understand why it upsets the hardworking guys when you do bash us, well i guess your brains are probably smaller than your dicks as suspected.thats why we should stick to shooting related topics here, so nobody gets offended and make mean comments like i just did.tim

20. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

ysr racer...the one trick pony...only knows one joke..LOL Brags how he works hard.. probably only puts one bolt in the same hole all day long and still has to have a supervisor tell him which way to turn it on a daily basis.

Here at home we had three factories close and only one was union. The only thing they had in common was they were owned by foreign corporations. That kinda blows your union hating blame to hell doesn't it? NAFTA and a host of other legislation also have contributed to this ongoing problem.

As I've ask before just what is the percent of forigen owned companys leaving the US compared to companys that are owned by US investors?? Or does this question refute your attempts to piss down the back of the American worker??

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.