1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oldsmobile name now owned by Toyota????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by over the hill, Apr 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

A co worker of mine told me some time ago that the Oldsmobile name was bought by Toyota after GM failed to renew the expired patent.

Someone please tell me this isnt true.

Regards Gerald

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Almost as funny as the rumor that keeps going around Michigan, about Toyota wanting to buy up ill-fated Big 3 plants.

Makes about as much sense...

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

they already make a "Japanese Buick" (the Avalon)...and they'd probably make a better Oldsmobile than the lame effort GM put into the brand the last 15 years it existed before they killed it. I grew up in a diehard Olds household and I wouldn't have bought one after 1980.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I want my 1950 Rocket 88 back.

Fords and Chevys ate my dust. ( with ease)

I had 6 50's Oldsmobiles and none were problem cars. Those were the days.

HM

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Well, glad to hear from some die hard Olds fans. I drove them from Mar. 61 to the late 80s. Still have a 88 Custom Cruiser in the drive. May take it to Sparta if I start saving now.

Halfmile you are right. I had a 54 Super 88 that would smoke power pack Chevrolets up to about 70. That low 1st. gear of the old Hydros. would kill anything off the line.

Nostalgia regards...Gerald

7. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

My 1997 Aurora is a great car with everything I need. Regular maintainance should keep it on the road until it becomes a collector item and I can sell it at auction for a huge profit.

8. Hauxfan

Hauxfan Well-Known Member

I liked my 73 Cutlass with the 455 cubes. Awesome car. Awesome motor.

Just a fun car to drive.....

Hauxfan!

9. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

My Dad bought a '67 Olds Delta Custom coupe...425 ci. 375 hp...bucket seats... console...and he didn't even know it would boil the tires at will...but I did...wish I had it back or could find one to restore...

10. mizzou

mizzou TS Member

My dad was an Olds dealer when I was growing up so I got to drive the 1959 red and white Super 88 four door hardtop..Beautiful, long,with some special wheel covers..That car would move!! Should have been killed a dozen times..Most beautiful Olds that my dad had was a 1953 Rocket 88 gorgeous green with sun-visor and big white walls..Ouch!! Back in those days, we would hide the new cars in our garage before the "official" showing..In our small town, lots of folks took the day off to view all the new models in town..Can you say "free doughnuts"?....Mizzou

11. Baber

Baber TS Member

I too was a loyal Olds family until I bough a '82 Diesel. A friend told me that Oldsmobile did for the diesel what herpes did for sex!

Got tired of GM crap and hidden warrantees and went to Ford. Have had 4 Crown Victories and am currently on a 06 Grand Marquis. Best cars I have ever owned. Might go back to GM when they come and apologize for the junk they sold me.

TB

12. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I remember an NCO in our unit who had a 1964 Olds Star fire convertible with a 425 CID V-8 with dual 4bbl carburetors on a special manifold. He was from West Virginia and would go home on weekends and set oil drilling rigs on mountainsides for cash. No taxes, deductions, etc. - just cash. That’s how he paid for the car and the custom work.

The car was bight red with a polished stainless steel or aluminum stripe over a foot wide down each side. It was a knockout.

Ed Ward

13. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

My Buick wagon was a diesel. GM installed a new engine at 15,000 miles and it ran fine. Sold it at 125,000 miles because I wanted a new ride. They finally got the diesel right but by then it was too late.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.