1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oldies: S&W K-22 Outdoorsman

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Brian in Oregon, Sep 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    View attachment 245361

View attachment 245362

View attachment 245363

View attachment 245364

Here's my S&W K-22 Outdoorsman First Model, .22 LR, with a 6" barrel. It's classified as a First Model because the initial run used the early pattern friction adjustable target sights, while the Second Model had the then new micrometer click sights that are still used today. It was built somewhere between 1931 and 1939. My guess based upon S/N and its special features that it was built between 1935 and 1939. This is because this gun has a special order, rare, humpback hammer. These were first offered on the .357 Registered Magnum, which started production in 1935. It's much easier to cock than a regular hammer. The hammer strongly suggests it was a companion piece to a .357 Magnum with the same hammer and sights. Notice there is no rib on top of the barrel. Ribs came into use on the K-22 postwar. This gun also has a Call Brilliant style front sight. The Call Brilliant refers to the round nickle disc on the face of the Patridge sight. The grips are the older, pre-Magna design. There is no backlash adjustment, as those were introduced on the Second Model. The First Model had a production run of 17,177 making it more common than the Second Model, which had a run of only 1,067 due to the war. Price of these guns was $40, steep in those days.

This gun is very accurate. The trigger is light and crisp. Because of my aging eyes, it's one of the few that I can actually see the sights on, because of the Call Brilliant disc.

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

cool

notice the significantly raised diamond on the grips also

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Too bad it got pimped with the gold package.

4. Brian in Oregon

That's not gold. It's white tire crayon, and is easily removable. I use it for photos to make the markings clear.

5. no5shooter

no5shooter Member

NICE S&W, Brian. Bet it's a bunch of fun to shoot. Thanks for posting the pics.

Jerry (also in Oregon)

6. Joe Woods

Joe Woods Well-Known Member

Do you have the orginal box.
    Definately a quality gun, thankyou for the pictures.

Joe Woods/Ontario

7. Brian in Oregon

Jerry, yes, it's fun to shoot. I've only used it for target shooting and plinking. Need to try it on small game and varmints. Maybe next spring.

Joe, unfortunately no original box.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.