1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oldest Trap Club

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Cowboy1, Sep 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cowboy1

Cowboy1 TS Member

The Exeter Sportsman's Club, located in Exeter, New Hampshire, is one of the oldest trap shooting clubs in the United States. It has operated continuously since 1878.

2. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Edwardsville Gun Club, Edwardsville, Il -Since 1873

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Hamilton Gun Club in Stoney Creek, Ontario was established in 1882. Bill Malcolm

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

"The Martinez Gun Club has been located in the Martinez, CA area since 1883 and is the oldest continuous running gun club in America!" This statement is on their web page - see above. I am a life member of the club and when I was living nearby, I was lead to believe from county records and newspaper clippings of the era that the club dated back to the time of 1876. Perhaps the wiggle words "continuous running" made the difference or there was some winking of eyes. I can attest to the fact that Martinez has been operating on only 3 locations since it began tossing glass targets over the Sacramento River in the City. It certainly must be the oldest club on the left side of the map.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

5. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

The South End Gun Club, near Reading, Pennsylvania, claims to be the oldest operating club in the United States, according to their website (link above).

Ed

6. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

And...as of yesterday morning, September 30th, South End GC was still operating nicely and accomodating trap shooters. Although, I found that occasionally their traps would malfunction by throwing a target that preceded my shot pattern.

js

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

South End may, or may not be the oldest, but it is one of my favorite clubs. I have not been able to shoot there for a couple of years. Seven hours is a long dive for a 1-2 day shoot.

Pat Ireland

8. Uncle Sam

Uncle Sam Member

Buffalo Shooting club in Buffalo N.Y. was another very, very old club. Sadly..it has been sold and won't be rebuilt..evidently the organization has been dissolved..............Uncle Sam, Pa.

9. Barry C. Roach

Mr. Dodd, with all due respect, you may add "continuously running" to Edwardsville Gun Club's 1873.

10. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Barry, I have no doubt there were clubs operating in the East before the far west and perhaps there are those that have been operating ever since. I only quote what the Martinez club claims and I do remember seeing the county records and news clippings from around the 1870s/80s but have no special recollection of exact dates. I can only remember that the club "celebrated it's 100th anniversary in, I believe, 1976. The source of that info was Harry Russo, nearly as old as the club then :), who was a very long time king pin of the club and it's history. At least we can all say there are many very long time clubs throughout the U.S. and they should be proud of their heritage. I DO know that "continuous running" is a bit of a stretch in the case of Martinez since there were some off periods during World Wars. BTW, your name is all I need for "due respect" and I'd like to hope the reverse is good for you too!....Bob Dodd

11. Barry C. Roach

Thanks Bob D.

12. hoffman06

hoffman06 Member

There was a large banner hanging in the Lewiston Idaho trap club saying it was the oldest trap club in America. Anyone from Idaho with more input on this.
    Carey

13. Patrick Haskins

Patrick Haskins Member

If my memory serves me correctly, Edwardsville was listed in Trap & Field as the oldest in the U.S.
    Pat Haskins

14. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

FROM LEXINGTON, KENTUCKY: John thinks I could't log in... after being treated so well by the people of Lexington and visitng my daughter at UK... I feel like 1939. When I get home to So. CA. I will post about the trap shooters of the Lexington area and how they extended themselves to me and my family. This is a "brotherhood" and Southern Hospitality is alive and well in Lexington, Ky. John, on the other hand, has spent too much time in Hawaii and has gotten "soggy". John: Talk with you Thursday upon our return. Still Your Friend: Fred

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

the trap club and marion barry