1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Oldest Medal Of Honor Passes.

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by Auctioneer, May 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I saw on the news this morning that the oldes Metal of Honor has passed away. He was 100 years old. He was awarded the medal for staying at his machine gun post at P.Hardor. He was wounded 21 times by shrape metal and kept firing. Fly a flag in his honor.

2. chipking

chipking TS Member

I certainly will. WE ARE DIMINISHED.

--- Chip King ---

3. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I remember seeing this gentleman on the History Channel. It was a special about the Pearl Harbor attack. He said that some of the smallest pieces of shrapnel were still in him and occasionally would give him a painful reminder of their presence. Truly a brave man and a great American, RIP.

4. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

This was in a local paper yesterday morning I thought some might find it an interesting read.

Bob Lawless

[​IMG]

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Retired Navy Lt. John Finn, the oldest Medal of Honor recipient from World War II, died Thursday at his southern California ranch. He was 100. Finn was the first man to receive the nation's highest military award for heroism during the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7, 1941. He was the oldest of 97 Medal of Honor recipients still living.

Despite head wounds and other injuries, Finn, the chief of ordnance for an air squadron, continuously fired a .50-caliber machine gun from an exposed position as bullets and bombs pounded the base at Kaneohe Bay in Oahu. He then supervised the rearming of returning American planes.

"Here they're paying you for doing your duty, and that's what I did," Finn told The Associated Press before his 100th birthday. "I never intended to be a hero. But on Dec. 7, by God, we're in a war."

Finn received the Medal of Honor on Sept. 15, 1942, from then-President Franklin D. Roosevelt.

He retired from the Navy in 1947, but continued to help young sailors, Lt. Aaron Kakiel said.

"He's been a real inspiration to a number of our aviation ordnance men and an example for the entire Navy," he said.

Born July 23, 1909, in Los Angeles, Finn lived for 50 years on his ranch near Live Oak Springs, outside San Diego.

He will be buried with full military honors. Kakiel said the Navy was still working with his family members on the details.

5. RJ

RJ TS Member

He definately won't be forgotten on my end. I was born on his Birthday 1946. (Rich.inAz.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.