1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

OLDEST CLAY PIGEON MEDAL 1884?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shot410ga, Feb 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Are you wanting to sell it?

2. wm rike

wm rike Member

The ATA Hall of Fame could help you round out it's story, and should you decide to share it or pass it on, could provide a good home.

3. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Sportshot: Where does it say he wants to discuss the medal in his post? I don't see "discussed" mentioned.

4. JDinTX

JDinTX Member

That is a very nice piece of history you have there. JD

5. otnot

otnot Active Member

Now that's a trophy!

6. Pass103

Pass103 TS Member

What year did we starting shooting CLAY targets? Was this era Glass balls and live birds?

7. rooferbob

rooferbob Active Member

Sure would make a nice piece for the Hall Of Fame Museum!

8. NintyT

NintyT Member

Great piece! It would be wonderful if someone could identify the winner! Steve J

9. NintyT

NintyT Member

Whoops, missed the winners name the first time. So much for my speed reading course. Is it for sale? Steve j

10. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

John,

I forwarded this thread to Kenny Ray Estes, Director of the Hall Of Fame. Kenny Ray is the Guru of trap shooting history, and may be able to tell you a little about the medal and possibly about it's winner.

Dave in NY

11. redix

redix TS Member

Great piece of Clay Targets history. Thanks for sharing!

12. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Howdy John. I see your wife figured out the picture posting thing. Nice photos of a really neat piece of shooting history. Wish you could've brought it by the gunclub. I would really liked to have seen it.

Jim

13. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

I believe the company that presented this medal were the ones that developed the clay target early on.

14. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

15. Pat McKean

Pat McKean Active Member

As I recall, Earl Morris won it.

16. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

I want to thank everyone who alerted me about this beautiful medal. I was up late last night trying to find information about it in my old sporting journals.

What made things tough is that the Missouri State Shoot was scheduled to be held in May. Then postponed due to the unavailability of live pigeons. Another report said Missouri State Association would probably not hold their annual meeting & tournament again because of no birds. The annual shoot finally came off September 23-26 as the were able to acquire a few birds.

Remember, trap shooting at live birds were preferred back then and Ligowsky's Clay Pigeon was fairly new and some clubs and shooters rejected its use. To stimulate sales, Ligowsky offered a medal in his targets and trap was used. Several States took him up on it and held a clay pigeon event during their live bird championships.

It is certain that this medal in 1884 was not thought of on the same level as a state championship medal at live birds. The Clay Pigeon event was at 5 pair of doubles shot from 18 yards. Entrance was $5 per shooter and 23 shooters signed up. All of the live bird events during the 1884 Missouri State Shoot had more entries than the event at clay pigeons. The shoot report did not even mention the clay targets, trap and medal was provided by the Ligowsky C. P. Company. It reported that E. Morris won first money with 9 out of 10 and never mentioned him winning a medal. I believe Mr. Morris did win the medal but as stated, clay pigeons were in the early stages of gaining popularity. The Sedalia Liquor Dealers' Medal for the best general average of the tournament was won by J. C. Caldwell, of Cameron, who had an average of 45 out of a possible 50 live birds. The Kansas City Gun Club donated a handsome gold badge for the best individual score made during the team shoot and was won by George Rinkel, of the Excelsior GC, of St. Louis. Six shooters killed 9 birds and Rinkel won the shoot-off by grassing 3 straight at 31 yards. The Keystone GC of Cameron, who were just admitted membership the annual meeting the previous morning, won the team event. They received $300 and the State badge. Each man shot 10 single birds, 5 from 26 yds. & 5 from 31.

We are interested in this medal for your HOF museum and have contacted the seller. We remain hopeful that someday we will be able to proudly display this Ligowsky medal for all to view.

Kenny Ray Estes,
    Trapshooting Hall of Fame

17. shotgunpeople

shotgunpeople Active Member

Thanks Kenny Ray for the time and effort you put in for us. This was, and is, a most interesting thread.

Thank you John for posting such nice pics, I enjoyed them to no end.

Dave in NY

18. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

Donate it to HOF. Now that's a nice trophy.

19. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

John looks like your picture was took with a 3.1 mega pexil, Kodak EasyShare CX6330 nice looking photo.

If I had something like that I wanted to trade or sell then I would donate it to the hall of fame but of course it would depend on how much money I had invested in it but I would still offer it for a discount to the hall of fame if I was a serious trap shooter.

Good Luck and thanks for the photo.

Foghorn220

20. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

Mr. Boyles:

I too wish to thank you for the wonderful picture. I have a very bad copy from mircofilm of the beautiful diamond badge that the Ligowsky C. P. Co. presented for the First International Clay Pigeon Tournament held in May of 1884 at Chicago. The Company announced the value of that badge as somewhat over $250. I would love to see a real picture of this medal (or hold it in my hands).

I also want to thank you for considering the Hall of Fame museum as a resting place for this honorable medal. You are absolutely correct in your assessment of trapshooters. I've already had some folks offer to help pay for the medal.

Best regards,

Kenny Ray Estes,
    Museum Director

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.