1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Older Shooters Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SMOKEIT, Apr 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Vets and Sr,Vets...Have you made changes in your equipment,shooting style or anything else that help you shoot better as you get older?...SMOKIT

2. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

Do you mean that I'm supposed to get better?

Ed Yanchok

3. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

I really think we should make changes but most don,t . I have found a Lighter gun and shorter LOP will help .

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Mostly switching to lighter loads for the most part. I now use 7/8 oz for 16 yards, and 1 oz for handicaps due to increased recoil sensitivity as I get older. I have prepared and set up a semi-auto for future use if needed, which is both lighter weight than my Beretta combo, and has less felt recoil. I pay more attention to my eye prescriptions also.

Jim R

5. davnport

davnport Member

I don't know about you, but the older I get, the better I was!!

6. Mike Michalski

Mike Michalski Member

Don't worry, your body will dictate when changes are necessary. Eyes, endurance, focus, pain, strength etc etc etc

7. Leo

Leo Well-Known Member

Softer shooting loads is a good thing. I had Ken Rucker put one of his "bump buster" recoil systems on. No point in beating the old shoulder any more than I have to. Before that I was noticing my neck was bothering me the day after a 100 bird program. No point in accelerating the wear on tired old bones.

8. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

I sure hope there's something that will help. I have not shot for two months due to recovering from cataract surgery in both eyes. Knowing I would be out of commission for awhile I formulated a plan:

1) Commit to one gun. Sent my Mono Gun to Ljutic for refubishing. Now if I can only get it to come back. My TM-1 will stay in the closet.

2) I have never had a gun fit me properly. Also I was becoming recoil sensitve. After shooting my 1100 I am convinced softer shooting is better. I bought a PFS with both a standard and Ultimate Fit comb for my Ljutic. From what info I have gathered this should help with both.

3) Plan to shoot more, especially the bigger shoots.

4) CONCENTRATION. Be ready when you say "PULL" for every bird.

5) In advance I have collected many "EXCUSES" for not shooting well, most were responses to my earlier posting on TS. I will be ready (LOL). Thank you all.

6) Learn to enjoy myself even if my scores stink. This one will be hard.

Good shooting to all, Marc

9. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

... 6) Learn to enjoy myself even if my scores stink. This one will be hard.

When you get to be a Senior Vet ... quit worrying about scores because:

1. Your eyes ain't what they usta be.

2. Your reactions are slow as molasses.

3. Your back hurts and your left leg has a twitch.

4. Your mind has a tendency to wander between "Pull!" and "BANG!"

So go out and shoot for fun ... socialize with friends ... and be careful that you are not one of the Club Geezers ... who bitch about everything!

REMEMBER ... being a "Has been" is better that being a "Never was"!

10. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

My 86 year old running buddy JC Nunn broke a 95 in caps Friday at the Dogwood (Bostic NC-61 entries) and lost the shootoff to Dennis Taylor by one target.

He shoots an AL-2 Beretta and was using a Green-Dot reload.

PS - He turns 87 the 13th of July..

FRedmon

11. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

Besides being a good shooter, JC Nunn, is so fast on the line, you are out of breath keeping up with him.

Phil Berkowitz

12. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

You are only as old as you want to believe and feel. If you believe some of these people then you should go dig a hole and stand beside it because you are doomed.

I haven't changed one thing and I feel I still am very competitive. Still shoot 15 to 20 thousand targets a year. Still shoot 1 1/8 except for 1st shot of doubles. Still work 5 days a week.

Yes I have aches and pains, but a lot are from prior sports injuries and not staying as fit as I should. I do have to make a decision in June as to how I finish the target year, V or SV.

If you have to adjust to compete then do it but don't stop because Obama's old age death committee will come and get you and push you into that hole.

Don

13. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Thank all of you for your input. I am 74 and have just started shooting again after a 4 year lay off. During that 4 years I had 4 (yes count them 4) joint replacements. I am feeling pretty darn good now. I think I will make what ever adjustments I need to and go full bore to the belief that I can still shoot competitive scores. If JC Nunn can do it, maybe I can. Thanks again for your input........SMOKIT

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.