1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Older Perazzi ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Hammer1, Apr 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

If one is not wanting the new adjustable high ribs and is in fact very happy with conventional rib heights...

Is an excellent condition used Perazzi trap gun of older vintage as good as a new current production Perazzi ?

2. MOP

MOP Member

At least as good, maybe better quality.
  3. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 TS Member

I will 2nd what MOP said,I own several old and new.
  4. Mark425

Mark425 TS Member

Yup. I have 2 older Perazzi's that I love. Replaced new guns of much higher $$$$.

Mark

p.s Perazzi did make a couple of low cost guns over the years... not a big fan of those.
  5. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Which ones are the low cost guns to avoid ?

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Type 1 2 and 3 have some small flaws mostly poor forend attachment but that can be easily fixed.

Joe
  7. DB Bill

DB Bill Member

The only problem with the Type 3 forends was shooter's were over-tightening the screws that held the wood and metal together and thus caused the wood to split. The correction was simple - tighten the screws in snugly (don't show your strength by really laying on the screw-driver and then backing it off about 1/2 turn. Check it every time you put the forend on and you won't ever have any problems.

I think the MX-8's and Mireage's with serial numbers from th late 3X,XXX to the early 5X,XXX had the best quality -- there were only a few models being made and there weren't many options being offered,

Just like driving an old pick-up from the '50's -- take care of them and your grandkid will be driving/shooting it when you're long gone. The only "nit" I can pick is the bluing came off very easily.
  8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

It has always amazed me that the gun's with serial numbers that DB Bill listed usually sell used between $800.- $1,000. less than the more current type 4's. They're all good.
  9. Avaldes

Avaldes Active Member

The biggest downside might be parts interchangeability? You certainly are not going to pop a current generation barrel onto an older receiver. Luckily PUSA and Giacomo and others are very proficient at maintaining anything Perazzi.
  10. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

There are more of those around this house than I care to admit to. I have nothing newer than 86 and all but three are pre-80. Mid-70's had T4 forends and if that make a diff to you then then some old ones have that. I have a 74 that has two later bbls that I use on it and they fit just fine and a 76 that had one other later bbl. There are two T2's here (one has another bbl that I got for near pennies cuz it was a dreaded T2) that have been shot jillions of times and neither has a forend problem.

Folks dis'ing the older guns is fine w/me. Thanx for the assist on getting great guns for bargain prices hahahaha
  11. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

There're no bad Perazzis, just some are better than the others. Shotgun was basically based on 100 year old design.

Newer Perazzis are build on close tolerances, require less hand fittings, if any.

Some think the older ones use harder metal, not true. The old case hardening process made the surface much harder than bluing.

The foreand & receiver design has been modified couple times since the '60s, It has remained the same since late '70s & '80s. The price differences we see today between older type III and type IV are approx. the cost of converting it to current design. IMO, not worth the efforts and money.
  12. bigben

bigben Member

Owning and shooting old and new,a couple of things pop up, old, each combo took 80 plus hours to make, final shot % were on the official paper and enclosed. New Perazzii combos, 16 hours, drop em out at the end of the conveyer, some good some bad shooters, if not good, take them to Tom Wilkinson to make them shoot better % , new Perazzi combos, all shot left, Tom had to bend to make them right. You be the judge, not me I know! incinerate em!
  13. Bport33

Bport33 TS Member

Hi,
    I have a comp 1 32 inch over and under. It has been shot 600 shots. It is in mint plus condition. If you are interested in purchasing this gun contact me at aldenjam@verizon.net It has the correct serial numbers as you will notice from the responses on the site, case hardening.

RFS
  14. OLD ONE EYE

OLD ONE EYE Active Member

5 old ones 2 MT 6 for sporting best kept secret selective barrels and first Perazzi with choke tubes in both barrels 1 MX8 COMBO 1 MX10 O/U AND ONE MX3 SPECIAL SKEET GUN always thought the older guns were better the prices sure were.

i couldn't afford these guns new today so I sure do baby them years of joy and still giving.
  15. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

I have one Ithaca Perazzi TM1 with 34-inch barrel and fixed Full choke.

Have one striped 32-inch (31½ ?) MT6 with Perazzi screw-in chokes #2 through #10 in an original Perazzi case.

The only modification from original equipment on either is adjustable-combs that have been added to each.

Both have been thoroughly inspected by a Perazzi gunsmith who pronounced them in excellent condition. He did perform the proper maintenance on them.

They are not for sale.

Question... How much would my scores improve if I were to buy a more recent or even new production Perazzi ?

16. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

"Question... How much would my scores improve if I were to buy a more recent or even new production Perazzi ?"

To answer your question above, it's none based on your statement. My score got beaten by 1100 & model 12 all the time.
  17. lytnin1

lytnin1 Member

I have a Type 1 Perazzi , s/no. 309xx, proof Mk. XXIII, which I have fired many 1000's of cartridges out of. It has been cleaned after every usage. I have broken 1 B/B spring and 1 ejector [B/Bl]. Just recently I purchased a new stock from gunfitter [xlnt choice] and it can still shoot better than my capabilities. There was nothing wrong with old stock and I have never had trouble with fore end.
  18. MOP

MOP Member

It is apparent that those who know know,and that those who don't know, don't know.
  19. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

I just finished rebuilding my TM1. It didn't seem to need much and the gun didn't appear to have been shot to death. Refinished the stock, had the metal reblued, replaced some springs, and miked all the other components. All were well within spec. Probably all the shotgun I'll ever need for singles.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.