1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Older Perazzi Skeet gun questions?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by riflegunbuilder, Aug 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

I have recently gotten interested in Skeet. I am a left handed shooter. Are any of the older Perazzi Skeet guns, ie; MT6 etc cast neutral or with minimal right cast but without more cast at the toe?

I see MT 6s for sale that are 29.5" guns that appear to be multi-purpose target guns, or early style sporting guns. What are some other Perazzi models in Skeet or non specific target configuration guns that I can be on the lookout for? Do Mirages pre date current MX8 series guns? What models of Skeet guns did Ithaca and Winchester import? Are all the early guns going to be shorter than 28"s, or are some of these earlier guns out there in 28-30"s?

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The Perazzi skeet gun was an Ithaca imported Mirage. It came out after the first MX-8, which, of course, was around 1968. I believe it had 28" barrels, and was the first high end gun to be used with tubes that became popular with the top skeet shooters. That was in the early-middle 70's. It was also available as a 4 barrel set. Id did not have mechanical trigger. The rebound spring was set light enough so that the 410 cartridge would reset the trigger.

3. Baber

Baber TS Member

Most Perazzi Skeet Barrels are 27.5" and have their version of Tula Chokes. Since the barrels were light many were tubed. Perazzi also has offered carrier barrels for tubes as well as extra heavy barrels to be used in 12 gage events. Any of these Perazzi's can be fitted with stocks for left hand shooters without problems. MX 8's and Mirages are the same gun. Ithaca imported Type 2&3 Guns. Winchester brought in the early type 4 guns. In all cases the Tula choked Skeet guns were 27.5" in Barrel length. Longer skeet barrels did not come into vogue until later.

TB

4. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

5. Baber

Baber TS Member

Riflegunbuilder....

I guess we did not answer you question properly. Here are the answers in order of your questions...

1. There are no really 'standard' dimensions for any Perazzi. They do offer stocks that vary by drop more than anything else. Perazzi's were meant to be custom stocked to your dimensions. Look at the standard spec sheet on stocks in their catalog and see what number matches what you want then you will know what to look for.

2.The 29.5 MT6 were Bunker guns as this model predates the Sporting craze. They are great guns and can be used for Sporting as they shoot fairly flat.

3. Perazzi has more models than a car manufacturer. If you are looking at the pre Perazzi USA Skeet guns one of the best is the SC1 (aka 'Comp1') These were made through 1974 and were imported by Ithaca. These guns has light tula chokes skeet barrels.

4. MX8 and Mirage are the same gun with only rib and barrel variations. They are all about the same vintage although the MX8 appeared a year or two earlier.

5. Ithaca and Winchester imported basically the same guns.... MX8 and Mirage in both Trap and Skeet Variants.

6. The 30" Skeet gun craze came after Ithaca and Winchester stopped importing Perazzi's. As previously mentioned the skeet barrels were typically 27.5" although I have seen one example that was shorter. Probably 26.5. It was an early Type 2 import.

Hopefully this answers your questions.

TB

6. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

Thanks TB, Sounds like what I need to be on the lookout for is an older Bunker gun to add subgauge tubes to.

7. Baber

Baber TS Member

Sportshot...

Sorry someone Screwed up your skeet barrel. It appears you have a Type 4 gun by the serial number. In the mid '80's the Army Marksmanship Unit gave a Remington 3200 to Perazzi and asked them to make a MX8 that was similar. This is where the heavier barrel guns stem. I Have shot the first one that they made and would love to own it but they guy to does ain't selling. I can almost guarantee that the barrel you have is stamped with the weight. I have only see one Perazzi that wasn't and it was a very early Type 1 gun. Look and you will probably find it .... Its KG1.55 or something like that.

To all you lefty's... But the gun you want and have the stock made or fitted to your ways you will be happier.

TB

8. riflegunbuilder

riflegunbuilder Member

Sportshot, Thanks for the reply.Sounds like you are headed in the same direction I am, only headed for a different disipline. You are making Skeet guns into Bunker guns, I want to shoot Skeet with a Bunker gun. Sorry for the Skeet post guys, I just realize this sight is inhabited by the largest mass of Perazzi knowledge in the known world.

TB, Other than a MT6 what other of the earlier Grand Italias, Ithaca, Winchester guns are likly suspects to be Bunker Trap type guns akin to the 29.5 MT6s? I am looking for 28 3/8 (72 cm) to even 31 1/2 (80 cm) if the 31 1/2s are light enough. Probably better to stop at 30 3/4(78 cm). I guess a better question, how do I tell a bunker gun from from aregular Trap gun?

9. Baber

Baber TS Member

When I said ScrewUps I meant you screwed up when you did it. Especially a Tula Choked Perazzi Skeet Barrel. I have seen too many barrels have point of impact changed in the screwup process. I have said for years that the only gun you send for screwup is your competitors.

TB

10. ClaySmoke

ClaySmoke Member

Trust me when I say that PerazziBigBore has more info than he could type on here in a day's time. Mike is a VERY helpful guy and full of knowledge. Believe me, you'll want to have a pen and lots of paper handy. Garrett

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
mt6 perazzi skeet gun
older perazzi engraved barrels
perazzi 78 cm barrel
perazzi carrier barrel
perazzi mt6 for bunker yes or no

perazzi mx8 ithaca type 2

perazziskeet shot gun
who first imported perazzi shotguns