1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Older motorhome question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jimborn, Mar 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

I've got 1978 Dodge Sportsman that we simply love to travel to trapshoots in, but when the weather gets hot, the thing vaporlocks. I'm told that an inline pump will cure the problem and the model and year are notorious for that. Any thoughts? How does an inline pump work and how do you hook it up?? Thanks

2. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

An electric fuel pump, frame mounted close to the fuel tank should help you out. Check with a local performance oriented auto shop to make sure you get set up properly with the right size pump for your application, pressure regualtor (if needed)and any other incidentals. Also re-routing the fuel lone away from hot spots may solve your problem too.

3. hoser

hoser Member

I had the same motorhome and mine did the same thing.

I wrapped the fuel line from the pump to the carb with foil-lined tape, then slid some of that wire harnes riged tubing around it, and disabled the choke heater hose to the carb. That fixed it and never had a problem again.

4. shooter99

shooter99 Well-Known Member

I had a 1976 class A with a 440 in it and had same problem. Installed a hi performace electric fuel pump close to the fuel tank and solved the problem. Moving fuel line helps some but the fuel pump was the ticket.

CHEERS

5. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

you can also add one of those synthetic non heat conducting carb isolation spacer/gaskets between the carb and intake to keep the fuel from percolating on shutoff

6. motordoctor

motordoctor Shoji Tabuchi in Branson

make sure to get an electric fuel pump that is for a carburetor and not fuel injection. the pressures are different. put it in the back near the tank. put a filter on back of the pump--inlet side-- to protect the pump. Make sure that the heat riser on the exhaust manifold is working proper and open motordoc

7. Wyoharris

Wyoharris TS Member

The electric fuel pump is the ticket-had an old suburban that I pulled a horse trailer with that had same problem and that solved it. If you are in a pinch, a quart of diesel mixed with a full tank of gas will get you home as well.

8. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Thanks a bunch people. We love taking the camper, we call her "Mertle" and I never knew how much fun an RV was as it makes each trip, whether short or long, an adventure!!!! Jim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.