1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Older mercedes wow

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by shark1, Jan 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shark1

shark1 Member

I was getting fuel for my 1984 mercedes 300sd with over 300k on it, and started talking to another mercedes owner. I had asked question of how often do you change your filters? The individual stated once every 2 years if that becuase he only drives 50 miles a day. I might add the car sounded like it was choking out. He tells me that he never changed the first fuel filter since 1993 when he purchased it, (Because he did not realize it was there until I informed him). If I did not see this, I would not believe but the car was still going with 250k on it. I am amazed, wow he said he put over 150k on that filter. Anybody else ever see any thing like this?
    Mike Sharkey, Dc
    PS I change my filters every 10k need it or not.

2. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

1984 Mercedes diesel is old world technology and I could see him doing it. Do you have a water seperator on your filter? Todays high tech diesels are running pressures of 25,000-30,000 psi. Dirt and water are injector killers thats why you have to change the filters every 15-20 thou. miles on the newer ones.

3. shark1

shark1 Member

Toolmaker251,
    I have the 1984, I change the filters all of them every 10k. I use the slick diesel additives for breaking down water also, (every tank full I add some). I do notice that the prefilter might have drop or two of water. Should install another seperator in the vehicle?
    Mike Sharkey, DC

4. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Try that in a common rail diesel and I betcha an injector tip would break and create a welding torch situation in the combustion chamber. I change my common rail diesel's filter religiously as per the factory recommendation.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

Mike, I would think there is a aftermarket water/fuel separator to be had, but if you have 300,000 miles on your diesel why worry. putting additives in your fuel that have alcohol is not recommended in a diesel. Putting a cetane booster in your fuel is a plus, change your oil often with a good Cj-4 oil and you can pass the car down to your grand kids. I don't know if your car has a turbo, if it does have one try not to drive it a few miles and shut it down. Condensation tends to rust the exhaust impeller and lock it up over time.

6. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I change my fuel filters on my 1990 300D every 20k miles, as well as transmission fluid and filter. Evey 5K for the oil, lube, and filter. The car has 205,000 and never a problem.

7. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

Toolmaker come on...there are no diesel injection systems using 30 thousand PSI period. If for some stupid reason you manage to get the nozzles on the injectors to stand up to those kinds of pressures the fuel would cut the pistons in half.

8. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

I think he got away without changing his filters because the 617.95x engine in that vintage MERCEDES is one of the most overbuilt/overengineered engines ever designed & built. I wonder what his injectors' spray pattern looks like?

9. TOOLMAKER 251

ONE EYE, open the other eye and do some research. Fords run 26,000 and Cummins run up to 30,000 I don't know about the Duramax's. Old world diesel injection pressures are only around 2,000 One eye I will give you an education and I quote "Ford Clean Diesel Technology TM. high pressure common-rail fuel injection. Fuel pressurized to 28,000 PSI travels through a commom rail and into state of the art piezo-electric injectors and delivers multiple precision fuel injections for a smoother cleaner burn" Now you can tell all your buddies that diesels have more pressure then a 38 special going off.

10. ONE EYE

ONE EYE TS Member

Toolmaker...by golly your right!!! I have to admit when Im wrong. Wonder how much horsepower it takes to drive that pump?

11. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

the pumps are electric.

everything on these new trucks is "fly by wire".

tony