1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Older Ithaca fiel SXS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Wahoo, Feb 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wahoo

Wahoo TS Member

Is anyone familiar with the older Ithaca-made field SXS guns? They apparently made several field models, one was called the NID (which I have heard described as New Ithaca Design) and one called the Flues model plus one or two other designs but I haven't been able to come up with any source that descibes these guns in detail These were made after the Damascus-barrel era and prior to the 1960s. If anyone knows of a source for details on these guns I would very greatly appreciate your letting me know.

2. boomer

boomer TS Supporters TS Supporters

Sure--Walt Snyder' s book on Ithaca shotguns is the definitive work on these guns. Just google it or ask questions on doublegunshop.com.

3. GW22

GW22 Active Member

What do you want to know? The NID (New Ithaca Double) was a sturdier design than the Flues. The Flues ones were nice but not as durable. Mine, for example, is only 87 years old and it's already starting to show a little wear :)

-Gary

4. Mapper

Mapper Member

Gary has it right. I have a 1919 Flues and 1906 Minier. They work. Starting with the Minier(I think) Ithaca used coil springs for the hammers. They advertised fast ignition time in the trap model ads. The bbls. were a matter of choice in some models. They made fluid steel and twist steel bbls. simultaneously.
    If the gun is in good shape, it should last a long time, for hunting. The biggest drawback is that not too many places repair them anymore.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.