1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Older Ithaca 37 20 ga w/polychoke

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by CLP101, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

I have been looking for a good gun for my 11 year old daughter that I can afford and ran accross a model 37 20ga 26" VR bbl with a polychoke for $270. She loves the way it points and canreach all of the controls easily. Question is are the polychokes a positive or negative in functionality? The cosmetics don't bother her or me. does the porting on the polychoke make a difference? They also had an old model 12 for $350, but the forearm is too far for her to reach.

2. GW22

GW22 Active Member

"Functionality" in this case is a personal thing. Some shooters like Polychokes, Cutts, etc.

But the fact is that it dramatically reduces the gun's value and market. So, if you like having it, that's a good thing because you'll be one of very few in the bidding.

Having said that, $270 is a sucker price.

-Gary

3. hoot619

hoot619 Member

She should love the gun . I have a Featherlite 20 and love it also a 37 pump of my Dad's a 12. The 12 kicks a little but so nice to carry. The cost of it ?? If it fits her if she likes it it sure as hell is worth it. Later on down the line if things change I would even be interested,That is if WIFE isn't on the warpath. Ken U us Finnish Genius' got some smarts too! I was talking hunting here not trap shooting. For trap lot better guns out there!

4. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

CLP:

Ok I looked in the corner and I have a model 37 16 gauge Feather Light,with the Poly choke plus a 28" ventilated rib.

Well I think the price is way to high but then again im living in the old ages back when I bought my first Model 37 Ithaca 12 gauge deluxe model ok it wasn't a trap grade but the next thing to it anyway I paid $162.00 for it and im sure it was retail price or plus since I bought it at the local Hardware store back in the early 1980's.

Ok I did sell the 12 gauge gun but wished I had it back since it was my first gun for trap, ok the 16 gauge gun was handed down to me so it is priceless but since you are just looking to buy a new gun for the daughter then I think there are a lot better option's out there ok my first real trap grade gun was a Remington 870 T.A. grade gun it cost less than 200 dollars also in the early 1980's.

Really with a 11 year old daughter I don't think she needs the abuse from a pump field grade gun unless she has a lot larger body than most and im not saying this in a mean way but then again any person just starting out shooting without the right gun or ammo, will get gun shy when pulling the trigger when they know it is going to kick them.

If I was going to buy a gun for a 11 year old daughter I would buy a automatic gun because it will have less recoil and you can even add some more weight to the gun if she can hold it up.

Ok what kind of shooting is she going to be doing if Trap shooting then you can add some Dr Schools Mole Skin Pad's to the stock to make it shoot higher.

If Skeet shooting and others stuff then im sure a field grade gun will work fine.

Ok if you are a registered trap shooter and want to get her into trap then I might loan you a Beretta 303 Automatic trap grade gun but this gun is special to me since it was a gift and someone else done some work on it for me plus it is over 21 years old and im sure has had less than 3,000 rounds shot thru it.

Foggy!

foghorn220_2008_03035.jpg

Ok I didn't include the photo of the Beretta auto gun I just now read my post and didn't want you to think the last photo was the Beretta but it was of the 16 gauge model 37 though.

Foggy

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

Another bad thing for most shooters on shooting a Ithaca or a Browning B.P.S. pump gun is the shells eject and load from the bottom instead of ejecting from the side like a 870.

6. CLP101

CLP101 TS Member

Thanks for all of the feedback. She started out with a H&R .410 then I bought a used Win 1300(which is for sale) that she outgrew overnight. I have an excellent SKB XL900 20ga that my dad bought new when I was a kid(1978), but she can't hold the front up. Just looking for something in between, and only have a couple hundred to spend. Otherwise I would drop the $900 on a Berretta RL target. I know about the bottom feed and have used many BPS's. It's easy after you get the hang of it. My main concern is whether the polychoke is a good piece of equipment. I also reload 12 & 20, so i have already loaded 3/4oz loads @ 1100fps to take the edge off of the tiny Winchester and the recoil has not been a problem. She is 5'-1", 115lbs, so can handle it pretty well.
    Thanks again,
    Chris & Megan

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The poly choke is a functional item and the gun will be a reasonable choice for your daughter in the short term that you are considering.

That being said, I can't stand the looks of the poly choke (just my quirk) and if it were my gun I would saw it off and make a cyliner bore quail gun out of it. You can also get replacement barrels for that M37 assuming it wasn't one of the early guns from the 50's.

Buy it - you will get your $270 worth of gun out of it.

8. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

I read in a shooting mag years ago that the Polychoke did a fine job of pattern control.

9. DanLee

DanLee Member

The 20-gauge 37 is a good gun to start a youngster on, IF the ammunition is downloaded to 28 or 410 gauge levels of recoil. Ithaca model 37s are light (they were called "Featherweights" for a reason) and young shooters are able to hold them up much better than heavier guns. The Poly-Choke is a plus, in my mind, as it not only gives a built-in range of chokes, but the bulge at the end of the barrel is all a shooter needs as a sight. Just to reiterate, make sure you buy or load low-recoil shells if you decide to get this gun for your daughter.

Dan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
ithaca 37 featherweight
ithaca 37 vr 12 ga trap 1947
ithaca 37 vr 410 ga trap 1947
ithaca model 37 20 gauge poly choke
ithaca model 37 20ga with adjustable polychoke

ithaca model 37 featherlight 20 gauge poly choke

ithaca model 37 with poly choke for sale

ithaca polychoke 20 gauge