1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Older Citori Trap Vs. Newer BT-99

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jfesi, May 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jfesi

jfesi Member

I am new to trap shooting and looking for some expert advice. I am looking to shoot 16 yard and hopefully further singles.

I have an older Citori Trap with the Monte Carlo stock. I can not get the sight picture just right wih this set up, I think that I am getting too much rib between the front and mid sights and I have to push my face pretty hard on the stock to get the sights to line up. I was thinking of sending the stock to Rods Custom Stocks to have the comb made adjustable. Has anyone else done this with the Monte Carlo stock? Do you think that since I feel that I need to be lower on the stock should i have the comb shortened as well as made adjustable or does just moving the stock inward make your face sit lower on the stock?

Any comments would be greatly appriciated. I am either going to modify this stock or buy a newer BT-99 with the adjustable stock. I am new to trap shooting (I shoot Bullseye, vintage rimfire, and 100/200 LV). I traded my field gun for this older Citori Trap with 30" barrels. I really like the gun, but the BT-99 just sighted and shouldered better then this one does in the current configuration. Any comments on Citori Trap (fixed choke model) vs. BT-99 (Invector Plus model) would also be greatly appriciated.

Thanks,

Joe

2. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

When you say push your face hard on the stock to get the beads to line up, do you mean in the figure 8 or are they not correct side to side? If it is the figure eight, I would not worry about it as that is merely a reference to you that you are correctly behind the gun. If they are off side to side, you need to get an adjustable comb to allow your check to move further whichever direction it needs to go to get them to lign up. An adjustable comb is very a worthwhile investment

Jeff

3. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks for the reply. I need to push pretty hard to get the sights to line up so i think that I should get the adjustable comb installed. Should I be worried about the fact that I have fixed chokes, full and improved modified, or is that not really an issue for trap?

Thanks,

Joe

4. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

A lot of those older monte carlo Brownings have high combs. This makes them shoot nice and high with space between the beads which suits me just fine.

If you make it adjustable you need to be sure and tell whoever does it than you need it to go lower than it is now.

5. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

You really need to shoot several hundred rounds of trap first before you make any modifications. From all youve said, it seems that you are expecting to aim the gun via the sights for shooting targets. That just wont work. If the middlebead and the front bead are aligned when you shoulder the gun you are probably ok (I am referencing them being streight up and down). If they touch thats ok if they dont thats ok too you just want to use the front bead as a reference for when to pull the trigger. If you try to aim you will only shoot where the bird has been. go shoot with someone who has been shooting for a while and let them guide you on what you should be doing. Dont ruin a good peice of wood without really knowing what you are doing.

Good luck

Bob

6. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

Are the beads lined up side to side or not? Up and down doesn't matter unless the gun is shooting too far above where you are looking.

Jeff

7. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

Keep the Citori, get a adj. comb if you really need it.
    The older fixed choke Citori traps are bulletproof guns and it should give you many years of service. Don't get hung up on not having choke tubes...they are
    VERY overated.
    There is nothing wrong with BT-99's either [I have had one since I was 14]
    But with the Citori you can play ANY trap game out there.

8. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks again for all f the good advice. I am going to keep the Citori and as suggested shoot it quite a bit before making any adjustments. I made up a bunch of pattering sheets last night to see how it lines up. This may be a stupid question, but for patterning for 16 yard trap what distance should I be at from the board?

Thanks Again,

Joe

9. GoldEx

GoldEx Active Member

For 16's, I like to pattern my gun at 30 Yards which I figure is about the distance I break targets at. For Handicap, I move back the number of yards past 16 yards I currently shoot at. I'm currently at the 23 yard line so I pattern from 37 yards for caps. Works for me. I agree with keeping the citori too (not that owning 3 of them myself has anything to do with it..lol) They are a well built gun and for the money, there ain't nuthin' out there that can compete with it for durability.

Jeff

10. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

if you want to see where the gun is shooting, it is best to use 13 yards as a place to determine where the gun is hitting. Make a mark on the paterning paper and shoot about 5 shots at the mark with the beads lined up (you actually aim when doing this and is best done from a rest so that you can get duplcate shots). if things go like most of the brownings you will probably be about 3 inches above the mark with the majority of your shots. This is indicative of a gun that shoots about 60/40 which is fairly flat shooting for a trap gun. After you determine where the gun is actually shooting then you might want to go on and actually pattern the gun to see how even the patern is dispersed. Neil winston has a thread somewhere on this site which will tell you the rest of the information you are seeking. If you still have questions give me a pm with yur phone nr and i will get in touch to discuss any questions you have

good luck

Bob W

11. metal1

metal1 TS Member

as a owner of 2 citori`s both came with monty carlo stocks i finally had to just lower the combes to fit my body type and i have no regrets ,the guns shoot right where i like them to hit clays but for another person to shoot my gun it might take them awile ,my new xt i had to take 11/4" off the top and when my wife saw that she about flipped "you just payed how much for that gun and now you are grinding the wood " ,1st time out with the new "ground" stock i was high shooter ,

"

12. jfesi

jfesi Member

Thanks again for everyones help. I'm heasded out to pattern tonight and then see if I shoot this better then my 20 gauge gold.

Thanks,

Joe

13. mike b.

mike b. Member

You might get away with just reducing the comb height if it's shooting high. Do your testing and adjust if necessary. If you've gained any cheek fat lately, this will account for space between the beads or high shooting.

14. MGeslock

MGeslock TS Member

Go to a gun fitter. Not the "expert" at the range. The "experts" can help, but one who makes his living of of fitting guns is the best.

Get it fitted right from the start. That way you take the gun fit ideas out of your game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning bt-99 vs citori

browning bt99 vs citori

browning bt99 vs citori 725 trap

bt-99 or citori

bt99 vs citori 725

citori or bt-99