1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Older Browning superposed for Newbie-advice please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

My local dealer has offered me a 1956 Browning superposed with full/full chokes that has been used so much that the gold color is rubbed off the trigger and the finish is worn off in several places. It does however, appear sound.

Is a full/full a good way to go for a newbie? I would think not.

Is $995 way too much, I think it is?

Thanks to all.

Lou

2. blizzard

blizzard Active Member

I wouldn't think that having a full choke on the bottom barrel would be a bad thing. Does it lock up tight, and is the opening lever to the right when the gun is closed?

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Doesnt take much to wear the gold off a plated trigger

does the gun fit you and does it lock up tight?

I like Citoris but the price seems to be right on this one

regards from Iowa

Gene

4. Ifitfliesitdies

Ifitfliesitdies Member

Superposed Brownings, Nice guns. Full and full is fine. If it locks up tight, it's a fine deal. I have 4 Superposed guns from the 50's, 60's & 70's. they shoot really well. One of my buddies bought a 70's era Salt wood gun about 5 years ago. He had it backbored and and left it Full and Full and he shoots it every day with no problems. I know he's replaced a firing pin but he shoots it almost ever day 8 or 9 games. So they hold up very well.

Good luck and shoot well and often,
    Tom

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Very reasonable, if it's a trapgun or a live bird (pigeons) gun. If it's a field gun it's not as desirable. Does it have a Broadway rib on it? - you can always have choke work if bottom barrel is too tight. Browning can make it look like new, if you want to spend a ton of money on it. Great guns.

6. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

How do I tell if it is a "Broadway rib"

How do I tell if it is a "trap" gun.

The stock was more to the yellow/tan shade than brown

Sorry for the newbie questions.

Thanks

Lou

7. WGB

WGB Member

My local dealer has offered me a 1956 Browning superposed with full/full chokes that has been used so much that the gold color is rubbed off the trigger and the finish is worn off in several places. It does however, appear sound.

Is a full/full a good way to go for a newbie? I would think not.

(You are correct)

Is $995 way too much, I think it is?

(Ok for a Superposed but better trap guns are out there)

8. JH

JH Well-Known Member

Beg to differ.....go to Gunbroker.com and click in Superposed...there are a couple of trap guns right now for about the same money that look better than the one you described.

9. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Broadway rib is 5/8" wide.

Eric

10. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

for a used browning you tend to shoot under 1k FIND A GTI its a good all around gun. Save a few more pennies and you can get a used XT trap. I agree with the old gun issue. Being a newbie the worst thing is to shell out 900.00 and have something go wrong and find out you have to hunt parts down.

11. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

How long are the barrels? Does it have two beads on the rib? Are both beads ivory? Take it to a reliable gunsmith! If the dealer objects, leave it and look for something else.

You need to do more research before making a purchase. A very good used Browning Broadway or Lightning Trap Grade I (both Superposes) is worth more than any used GTI or Citori. They have better triggers and very high quality. A good Superpose usually goes for $1,200.+. Parts are never a problem as they are still making this gun in Belgium.

However, the GTI and the later Citoris are nice guns too. Welcome to our fine sport. Barry

12. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

I have a 1970 Belgium made Superposed Broadway and the rib is a full 5/8 inch and does not taper. This gun is in great over-all condition but the gold on mine is also worn from the trigger. See if there is any movement from side-to-side with the action open or any movement in any direction with the action closed ---- push pretty hard and twist against the forearm and the butt stock to tell.

The GTI is (was) a Citori based Japan made gun that also had a very wide rib but the rib measured more like 1/2 inch. The GTI guns were marketed more for sporting clays and, as of now, the 28 inch barreled GTI guns are the cheapest to buy, as they are somewhat out of favor, while the 30 and 32 inch cost more (and there weren't many made in 32 inch)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1956 browning superposed

browning superposed 1956

browning superposed reliability

how to tell if a superposed is a broadway trap