1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Older 682 vs 682 gold e

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Frank C, Aug 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

What is the difference between the two other than the obvious physical appearance? Are barrels interchangeable? Are they mechanically the same?

2. Franktri

Franktri Member

I have an old 682 Trap Circa approx 1980. I also own a Beretta 682 Gold E. The barrels do interchange. They are pretty much the same except for the rib, which is lower on the older model. I love both guns. I have used the older one for hunting and the new one with an unsingle for trap. Hope this helps.

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

I believe all 680 series barrels period are somewhat interchangeable. That is saying after any minor fitment issues are dealt with as with most guns and barrels.

4. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The biggest difference is the amount of hand fitting and attention to detail present. The older ones are a lot nicer inside than the newer ones. Wood and barrels are pretty much interchangeable with just a few exceptions.

ss

5. foghorn220

foghorn220 Active Member

I bought a new 680 combo in 1983 still have it also have bought a 34" top single 682 barrel for it and 2 sets of over and unders for it from a 682 they all interchanged maybe on 1 or 2 of them I had to file a litle for the ejectors to work proper.
    the 680's unsingle barrel had a flat rib the rib only took place of the top barrel with no step,so a lot of times people had to shave the stocks down to look sown the rib but the 682's has the steped rib but they was heavier barrels than the 680's so a lot of people cut out some of the rib post's or modified them.

Foggy

6. dale58

dale58 Well-Known Member

The new 682 optima barrels have a larger bore diameter, and longer choke tubes. also long forcing cones. I believe the new barrels pattern better and are softer shooting than the older one because of these improvements. Dale

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The new barrels balance better and shoot better and I think it is more than just the bore

No comparison between a gold e and an earlier barrel

Gene

8. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

What Dale58 Said!!!!!!!

9. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

As far as I can tell the main difference between the older 682x and the newer 682 Gold E is just bling. The older guns tend to have somewhat better wood but a very plain matte finish on metal. The newer guns have a coin plate reciever and more polished blued surfaces and then some real cheezy 'gold' crap. You pay alot for that bling. If there is a difference in the internal barrel dimensions, I can't tell the effect in terms of recoil or target breaking performance.

10. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

Older ones....1996 and older better built and stand up to more abuse.....wear and tear...but I do think they have something with the lighter Optima barrels.

11. sliverbulletexpress

sliverbulletexpress TS Member

I've had the new Optima barrels and the old Mobil choke barrels, I can't tell a bit of difference except the OU Mobil barrels seem heavier. The 682E Optima top single has a weight strip running under the full length of the barrel, I haven't weighed but I suspect it's as heavy if not heavier than the 682x top single barrel. The X's rib looks cooler IMO.

Funny thing is if you asked it as a question " Should I backbore and lengthen my forcing cones on my barrels?" a lot of people on here would say NOOO it's a waste of money it doesn't do anything no way it could reduce recoil and no one has proven the patterns are better. Life on ts.com

12. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

All i know is the Unsingle barrel on my 682 Gold E is one tight patterning and target munching mutha. I however can't compare it to the older barrels.

13. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

I personally think the older 682 Gold (greystone finish) was the best 682 target gun they ever made.

I personally do not want gun with pressed in checkering and what the heck were those orbital designs on the side.

Functionally, I'm pretty sure they are identical and are great guns for the money.

14. releasebob

releasebob Member

I'm not impressed with the durability of new 682E actions several guys who bought them have had to have them rebuilt after 3 or 4 years and what seems to be not a huge amount of targets,I have an old 680 that I bought 15 years ago and still locks up tight after many thousand targets.BOB

15. perazzi_01

perazzi_01 Member

With the E model and the new direction Beretta took mid to late 90's, there was also a change in guard at corporate....with it came a new strategy of other arm company buy outs ,....and a lessoning of quality and workmanship IMHO. Nothing wrong with profit,...but the brand has cheapened a bit.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.