1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Winchester THUNDER Gold ammo??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Allen Chubb, Feb 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

Frank,

They were specifically made for Olympic Trapshooting. I personally shot several cases of them both here and in Italy. They were a good shell in that they hit the target hard, but they also had a fairly unpleasant kick. They were actually sub-contracted and loaded by Baschieri & Pellagri (B&P) at their plant in Bologna. In fact, B&P does a lot of sub-contract loading for many of the big names. When we were there a few years back, they were loading shells for Fiocchi. I know that it's hard to believe but I've actually got photos of it as proof.

The Winchester "Silver" was actually a more pleasant shell to shoot and they were very pretty as well. I have several of them in my trophy cabinet as momentos. Winchester Italy made many great shells. When I was stationed in Germany in the early 80's we shot their Trap 100's 200's and 300's. The 100's were good training rounds and the 200's were perfect for your first barrel in competitions. The 300's were 3 1/4 dram, nickel so that was a fantastic 2nd barrel load. If you decide to light off those Thunder loads you better not have any lose fillings in your teeth. LOL!!!!

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb - President - Chubb International Shooting Sports, Inc.

2. Allen Chubb

Allen Chubb Active Member

Frank,

Yes, I know they're legal for ATA, but I hope your gun has a recoil reducer in it. LOL! Have Fun!

Best Regards,

Allen Chubb - President - Chubb International Shooting Sports, Inc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.