1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

? Old Winchester Primers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by phirel, Oct 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phirel

phirel TS Member

Mt friend Gary- the "Unloader" sent me some memorabilia for my small collection of old trap shooting stuff. One of the items was an unopened box of Winchester primers. The primers are in a wood tray and the box is marked "No. 209 Staynless Primers- Center Fire". They are for shotgun shells. The company is described as "Winchester Repeating Arms Company-- division of Western Cartridge Company. There is a code "K1521P" on the box.

Simply by looking at the condition of the otter cardboard box and label I am guessing a manufacturing date of these primers between 1930-1950. This is a guess. Can someone provide me with more history about these primers?

Also-- what is a "Staynless Primer" ? I spelled the work just as it is on the box. Am I a better speller than Winchester?

Pat Ireland

PS.
    Gary- I will send you a personal thank you. To others- Gary lives in the area where I worked for the Forest Service during the Summers of 1962-63 and near where I met a previous girlfriend. I will go into no detail about that.

2. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

Probably a cliche on the word Stainless. Either some type of coating to prevent rust or a certain amount of nickel added. That's my guess. Dave T.

3. phirel

phirel TS Member

Could it mean non corrosive?

Pat Ireland

4. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

Staynless was Winchester's designation for non-corrosive, non mercuric.

5. tmitom

tmitom Member

I found this on another forum:

"Staynless was Olin's versions of DuPont's Kleenbore. Staynless was Winchester-Western's non mercuric, non corrosive priming compound and Kleenbore was Remington-Peters version."

Tom

6. phirel

phirel TS Member

That should help date the primers-- When were non corrosive primers introduced?

Pat Ireland

7. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

Pat,

Here's a few references. I thought the 1930's would have been correct, but looked around just to be sure. The use by the US military seemed to be a little later, apparently with the 30 Carbine being the first.

http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=265916

http://www.theammodump.net/Corrosive%20Ammo.htm

http://www.ashlandlakegunclub.org/docs/CorrosivePrimerRedux.pdf

8. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Pat, I too have some old Winchester Western primers given to me by a ole time shooter I know. They too have the "staynless shot shell primer" on them as well. The ones I have are in the plastic tray, just like the one's of today. I am guessing that mine are about 20-30 years old. I plan on useing them up some time this year or so. I'm pretty sure they will still work. Would be nice to know just how old they are though. Mine have a K-4005P number on the box and have two different lot numbers as well. HK41L18lG, and other is HH61L162G. Good Luck Pat on finding out your info. Sorry I can't help anymore. Break-em all. Jeff

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Remington Arms in the late 70's and early 80's used to supply me with shells, and some components.

One time they shipped me a case or two of their primers that really looked different. They were concaved on the top side with a very, very small buldge on the inside cavity. When the fired, a small piece of metal would pop up to let the cap ignite the powder. They kinda remind me of the V cavity of a present day RPG used for teh shaped charge.

Anyone ever remember these??? Kinda of a neat item, but I always preferred the standard primers.

Whiz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

information winchester shotshell primers that pop up when fired

vintage winchester primers

when and why did winchester use pop up shotshell primers

win old pop up shotshell primers

winchester 209 staynless primers

winchester primer date codes

winchester staynless primers

winchester western staynless primers