1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Winchester Paper 1oz. loads

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Portagee Shooter, Jan 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

I came into possession some of the old Winchester Paper hulls in good conditin & would like to get some suggestions on a good 1oz. load. I saw a post for 1oz federal papers & would like to know if this combination would work for the Winchester Paper hull also. 20 gr. of Red Dot, Win 209 primer & the CB 1138-12 wad (different wad from the fed. recipe) Even though this Claybuster wad is designed for 1-1/8oz, it appears to make a nice shell w/ a 1oz. load. I'm trying to find a load that will be a little under or at least close to 9,000psi & around 1,300fps. Thanks in advance.

2. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

The paper hulls seem to have more volume, I use a 7/8 oz wad for 1 oz loads and get a good crimp.

3. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

Dave, was that using the Winchester WAA12 wad or another brand? Also, do you use the same components?

4. FarmerD

FarmerD TS Member

You will have to use the Red AA wads or clone to load these papers as they don't have the volume of Federal papers. Ben

5. Portagee Shooter

Portagee Shooter Member

Ben, do you have any 1oz. or 1-1/8oz. recipes for this hull? I would like to know what amount of pressure is generated from my 1oz. load in my first post along w/ a load consisting of 18.5 grains of Red Dot, Win 209 primer & the WAA-12R wad or it's Claybuster clone & 1-1/8 oz of shot. Thanks for your help. Lyle

6. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The Winchester Paper hull had a high base wad, like a Remmy All American(theirs was plastic).

AA12R works in them, RPA12 if you can find them.

I have some AA12R I would sell if you want them.

HM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.