1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Winchester auto 12 gage

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by garage tech, Feb 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. garage tech

garage tech Member

I have a old winchester auto that was my grandfathers havent given it much thought for a long time. I cant find any information on it. It is nickle steel stamped on the barrel model far as i can tell ll SL or S1 has a kind of hump back like a A5 but there is a knob with a sort of lock you press down to turn the knob on the back of the hump. To operate the action you grab the barrel and pull it. There is a button you push to lock it open and when you push the other side it will close. Any one know what i have. I cant remember shooting it or seeing it shot even as a child 60 years ago. thanks

2. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Model 1911 WidowMaker,because of the way you had to chamber a round.The knurling on the barrel is where you grab it and cock it.Becareful if you want to shoot it,mine only has a 2 1/2 inch chamber.

3. garage tech

garage tech Member

What does the knob on the back do.

4. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

It unscrews and comes apart.This is Winchester firtst semi auto gun,and Browning Co had the patent on the Charging Handle on the A5 so John Browning was making this to try and go around the charging of the gun with a shell.Unscrew it and it will just come apart.But like I say this is a 2 1/2 inch chamber so it can't shoot modern ammo.

5. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

I've never heard of a 12 gauge 2 1/2" chamber in a 1911 SL, or any other Winchester 12 gauge gun since the the M1897. Is your gun so marked?

If there's one thing I've learned about Winchesters, it's that anything is possible.

6. garage tech

garage tech Member

No marking of shell length of any kind just 12 gage cyl and 2 long lines of patent numbers and dates. I may try to remove the barrel and measure it but the device holding the forend on is odd looking like 2 peice with 2 holes in front and spanner type holes on the inner piece any advice before i try to remove it??? Thanks.

7. garage tech

garage tech Member

One more thing the serrial number is A80426 if this helps any one tell me if it is anything odd or special. Thanks.

8. garage tech

garage tech Member

Near as i can tell chamber measures 2 and 3/4 to the ring that is the forcing cone??? Is it a 2 and a half?

9. Chugiakshooter

Chugiakshooter Member

Well then mine must be super rare,because it does have a 2 1/2 inch chamber,it will chamber a 2 3/4 shell.The 2 1/2 inch shell also show up in early model 12's also.Get a chamber gauge.

10. garage tech

garage tech Member

Not that i plan on shooting it but i will take it to a smith with a chamber gage just to be sure. It has been fired but i dont know by who my brother?? or when as it is kind of dirty. This is the first time i have ever seen the barrel off. Thanks it brings back memories of my grandfather and a halfadozen guns hanging on nails in the rafters of a old shed.

11. lightning20ga

lightning20ga Member

i hav a model 12 in 20ga it had a 2 1/2 chamber had it lenten 2 3/4

12. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

My dad had a Winchester M1911 SL. As I recall it killed at one end and crippled at the other. Seemed to be he hardest recoiling gun I had ever shot.

13. JRW

JRW Member

As you see by my sign on I am a fan. All 6 of mine are 2 3/4". Like you I have my grandfathers he bought in 1925. Jerry in MI.

14. Model Number 12

Model Number 12 TS Member

Both 16 and 20 gauge Model 12's had 2 9/16" and 2 1/2 " chambers, respectively, until 1926. As far as I'm aware, the last 12 gauge Winchester to have a chamber less than 2 3/4" was the M1893, which was 2 5/8'. These guns did not have a chamber length marking on them.

Again, anything is possible in the world of Winchester collecting.

15. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Only shoot light field loads in it. The field loads of today are the magnums of yesteryear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

old winchester auto models

what winchester 12 gauge where you push on barrel