1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Western Trap--Information Requested

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Allen-MX8, Nov 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I have located the Trap that my Lions Club used over 40 years ago for trapshoots to raise funds for our Club.It is marked "Western Master Skeet" "Serial No. 9xx7K" and "Western Cartridge Co., East Alton, Illinois USA".

I would appreciate any information anyone might be able to give me about this trap. I hope I have attached a picture of it.

Allen
    allenmx8_2008_03033.jpg

2. d.delph

d.delph TS Member

Call Jim Printz @ Rhodeside Inc. and he will be more than happy to tell you whatever you need to know. Absolutely great guy and and a great source of info. His phone # is 1-937-773-5781. Dan delph.

3. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Thanks Dan. I appreciate the information. Will endeavor to contact him next week.

Allen

4. d.delph

d.delph TS Member

I can assure you, you will not regret calling him. Tell him I said hello.

5. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

We had the same thing in our skeet houses years ago, ours we actually bunker traps. Anyone want to buy a pair ???

6. KennyRay

KennyRay Active Member

I believe your trap was invented by Arthur McCrea, of Lamar, Mo. He was granted patent No. 2,121,763 on June 21, 1938. He assigned (sold) his patent to Western Cartridge Company, of East Alton, Illinois.

If you use the patent number in a free Google Patent Search, you can download and print and read it. A sketch of the trap is included in the patent.

I believe McCrea came out with his first trap patent about 1906 or so. He designed target throwers for Western for many years.

Some of his traps were used at the 1911 Grand American Handicap. Fields 1 & 2 used Western Traps; 3, 4 & 5 were equipped with Western-McCrea traps and White Flyer targets were used.

I believe the ATA used traps of close design to yours at the 1940 Grand. They were called the Western White Flyer Self Angling. 22 traps threw 731,225 White Flyer targets. They had a notched gear that permitted change of the angle (automatically). The picture of your Skeet trap is hard to detail and appears to be almost identical but would not need the mechanism for changing angles.

7. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

Thanks for the information thus far. Besides the trap I have a case of Remington "Blue Rock" targets with yellow dome as well. The case only has a small corner torn open so it appears that all 135 targets are there.

Kenny, when you mentioned Lamar, Mo that is interesting as I am in Missouri north of Columbia.

Allen

8. Allen-MX8

Allen-MX8 Member

I just found out today that my Lions Club acquired the trap in the early 60's.

I don't know yet when the trap was made however.

Allen

9. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

I have an old trap marked Western Mcrea Master serial # 1906R complete with pull handle and bracket. Been trying to research it. I was told by former owner that it came from Vandalia. But not sure.

10. traploader

traploader Member

I have a copy of the manual for this trap. Also have spare mainsprings and throwing arms.

Ian Brotherston Western Retro Products Ltd.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
antique western skeet thrower
western cartridge company clay pigeon thrower
western flyer trap thrower

western master skeet

western master skeet thrower

western trap

western white flyer self angling trap
western white flyer trap thrower manual