1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Trap Club near Dayton Airport

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by magic, Mar 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. magic

magic Member

I flew home from the southern grand this morning, and noticed on our approach to land at Dayton Airport an abandoned 4 hole trap club. Ive flown into Dayton many times and just have never noticed it. It was to the west of vandalia. Just wondering the story behind it....

Thanks in advance

Jason Sheehy. 99-11142

2. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

If it was beside the river, would be the Huber Heights Gun Club on Philadelphia Drive. Metro Parks just had to have that little piece of land so it could grow 6 ft. high weeds.

3. crusha

crusha TS Member

Just SW of Vandalia, a stone's throw from the ATA grounds...if it's laid out shooting toward the South, then that's it. Neat old place, still in operation until just a few years back. Huber Heights GC was the only place I can recall shooting with the trapfields laid out shooting to the south. I recall they were about a once a month weekend ATA shoot place, but had special events during the nighttime during the Grand. When I shot there, it was only 3 traps, so you'd have to shoot 50 on one of the traps to get in 100...unless my memory's going on the fritz.

4. pj 999

pj 999 TS Member

Rudy Manor Gun Club was a little to the north, but has been closed quite a while. Don't know if the trap houses are still there or not.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Huber Heights gc used to have some nice money shoots during the Grand weeks. The story I was told that General Motors built the club many years ago for it's employees.

6. magic

magic Member

I'm unsure which direction it was pointing....but this looks to have been closed a while. I'm unsure the houses were still there....just the pads. One of the pads had what looked to be a trench running down the center of it. Anyway thanks again everyone.....I knew someone would know.

Jason

7. magic

magic Member

By playing with google maps, I found it. It had to be Rudy Manor as what I saw was on Rudy Road.

Mystery Solved. When did this club close?

Jason

8. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

Not sure exactly on Ruday manor closed but I started in 1987 and the were closed then.
    Huber Heights has nothing there anymore at all.

9. over the hill

over the hill Well-Known Member

Geo Rudy had a program or Calcutta that was a nite shoot, can't remember which nite.

Shot there a few times. I'm thinking it closed in the late 70's or very early 80's.

Also, Troy Fish and Game also had a nite Calcutta.

Lots of great shoots in the 70's.

Regards.....Gerald

10. 320090T

320090T Well-Known Member

What are the GPS co-ordinates for it?

11. 320090T

12. magic

magic Member

5494 Rudy Rd. Tipp City Oh. 45371

Not sure how to grab the gps data just using my iPhone but that's the address...

13. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Huber Heights gun club was on the opposite side of route 40 from the grand. You drove down Peters pike about 3 miles until you crossed over Stillwater river, then turned right down into their driveway. I think it turned into a housing development in the mid 90's

14. slide action

slide action Well-Known Member

Huber Heights was forceably taken over for "land development by the Metro Parks Div.-- After they took it,they LEFT it there and did nothing with it! Guess the local uppies didn't like the idea of a "nasty gun club" near them. In stayed open until around 2000 or maybe slightly before? Great little gun club. when I used to go to the Grand in Vandalia, I discovered I could go there and practice without standing in long lines!

15. The Rock

The Rock Active Member

Found them but they are facing Dead North. Like Vandalia did.

39 56 36.97 N 84 06 57.86 W

Rock

Jim

16. Ron(Oh)

Ron(Oh) TS Member

Rock, if you're talking about Huber they faced south
    39 50'11.04 N 84 13'57.32W elev 767ft from google you can see the old driveway
    and where the clubhouse was
    Sorry Rock, checked out the numbers and I see you were at Rudy manor.
    They were already gone when I started shooting but I know where they were at...Ron

17. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Someone put alot of money in to building it. So why did it close?

18. guinner16

guinner16 TS Member

According to the addresses given above this is Rudy

guinner16_2011_151110.jpg

And Huber...

guinner16_2011_151111.jpg

I am going to go out on a limb and say you saw the Rudy club

19. 320090T

What skeet club is West of Campobello Island on Old Webster ST, across the tracks? Looks like a single skeet only field. Some sort of waste facility near it.

20. flabigpapa

flabigpapa Well-Known Member

Huber Heights...Many Great Times....during Grand Shoot, Daily shoots and Night Time Games, Fabulous Place ...Great People...Good Times, Sorry too see it go the way of The GRAND...All Gone..But Not Forgotten. Shoot well...Shoot Often,with Good Friends, Bart

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.