1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Trap Book Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MTA Tom, Jan 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I have a very large collection of shotgunning books.

Recently, I bought on eBay a book I've never seen before. It's in almost perfect condition, and looks like it was printed yesterday.

Is it really over one hundred years old, or is it some kind of modern replica? Does anyone have any info on the author?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

I'll say it's authentic, and that you did very well!

LA in MA

3. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

There's no publisher listed. On the back of the page in the third picture above, it just says "Copyright 1910 Charles Edgar Shaw, Jr."

The last dozen pages are blank, except for "AUTOGRAPHS AND SCORES" at the top of each page.

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Maybe it was self published, very common then and now.

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Written and published by Dr. Longshot?

6. bob easton

bob easton TS Member

There is also quite a business these days in republishing books with expired copyrights. They are in the public domain, free from any legal obligation to the original copyright holder, and there are plenty of publishers who are good at making low cost replicas of these old books.

Another of my interests is all forms of woodworking, with an emphasis on using hand tools. There are several other guys with similar interests who are doing quite well with reprinting replicas of 19th century and early 20th century craft books.

However, there's usually a new cover or new cover page that let's you know it is a modern replica.

7. MTA Tom

MTA Tom Active Member

I found "Lost" in a list of books copyrighted in 1910, but there's little additional information, other than it cost $0.75.

I did find that Shaw is listed as having illustrated two other books in 1912.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.