1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old tool to wax federal paper hulls

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by rob111, Apr 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rob111

rob111 Member

I have been told there is or was a tool to wax the end of these hulls.. Please any help would be appreciated.. respectfully, Rob Mize

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

The tool(s) in question really don't add new wax to the hull, but just recondition what's there. Yes they improve the crimp area a lot and are usually good for getting that last reload out of the hull.

Several companies made these in years past and even some nice DIY's, but it has become a thing of the past like paper hulls.

ss

3. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

If you are familiar w/ the heating element that reshaped and melted the wax at the crimp end of the shell to make it easier to reload, there was an attachment that fit over the top of the heated part of that device that you could put the crimped end of the shell in to, in theory, heat the wax to better seal the crimp. As I recall it did not work very well and was a gimmick that wasn't worth monkeying with. If I can find mine, I'll take a picture and post it.

4. grunt

grunt TS Supporters TS Supporters

There is a company that makes one of these heaters, But they are not cheap. Maybe some one can post the web site again.

5. jeffprigge

jeffprigge Active Member

wax on wax off

6. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

'Thermagic'

Ayers Arsenal in Wisconsin. thermagic-sales@yahoo.com

$75.68 8ga to 32ga

7. xringjim

xringjim TS Member

Ya, these work. But, the old unit that my dad passed on to me isn't used much if at all. I reload the Federal papers about 4 times and have to throw them away. Not due to the mouth of the shell going bad, but the base because it usually burns through way before I'd ever need that mouth heating tool. I guess if you're looking to make really pretty shells you might want to use this tool every time. But mine sits on the shelf most of the time. If it wasn't for it being my dad's old unit, I'd sell it in a heart beat for 35 bucks. JKP

8. rob111

rob111 Member

Thank You to all.I was hoping that this tool would help withing keeping buffer in. Resoectfully, Rob Mize

9. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

Rob, the absolute easiest way to keep buffer from leaking - nasty, pervasive stuff, it is, too - is to put a 5/8" disk of Tyvek atop the shot/buffer before you crimp.

A drop of candle-wax works too, but is nasty and time-consuming.

Bob

10. Trapshooter

Trapshooter Well-Known Member

I have a couple of those irons that were my Dads. They work fine and inprove the crimp. The old Winchester papers held up a little better than the Federals because they were a little thicker walled and had more wax. Still love them Papers hulls anyhow. Todd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.