1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Timers Still Shooting

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Ron Frazier, Nov 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

Just wondering, how old are some of the people that you shoot with?

My Dad is 79 and still shoots 3 days a week. He started as a "trap boy" in 1938. However, he is a kid compared to a 96 year old and 92 year old that he shoots with. I love shooting with these people and never tire of their stories of shooting over the years. I consider myself very lucky to shoot with them and only hope that I can continue for a long time. I am 56 and am considered a "kid".

We should all thank these "old timers" for caring for our sport over the years and sharing it with us. I feel that they are as big a part of the experience as the guns and clays.

2. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I got my butt kicked by an 72+/- yr old 27 yarder at Cardinal last August. Don't kid yourself, some of them boys can shoot!

3. panthers314

panthers314 TS Member

We have 3 wonderful gentleman in NC, all still producing 100's at 80 plus

panther

4. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

I knew a man that once that did't start shooting until his 80's, then shot his first 100 straight at 90. He also still smoked unfiltered Camels. Quite a guy.

5. TM1

TM1 Member

We in San Diego are proud that we have JIM SNOW, still shooting ATA targets.

Jim will be 97 in Nov of this year. Couple years back, Jim became the oldest person every to break a 100 in a ATA shoot. He was 93 years young.

I always tell Jim that he needs to stop smoking those no filtered Camels.

A wonderful person to know.

JCR

6. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

The oldtimers are the best people at your club get to know them and enjoy them before they are gone. It will be your loss if you don't. Bill

7. Bigbird

Bigbird TS Member

Iowa has 2 great shooters that can still compete with anyone. Laurin Stanek became the oldest person to break 200 straight which he did at the 2007 Central Zone shoot. Frank Fincel won the sub-jr championship at the 1937 & 38 Iowa State shoot & has been shooting winning scores since. He's been on the All-American team in recent years.Both are AAA gentlemen in my book. Kevin Hartwig.

8. nomderf

nomderf TS Member

This picture was taken after a shootoff at the 2005 North Carolina Hall Of Fame shoot at the Homegrounds.

JC Nunn is on the left and is 83 in this picture. He tied Bob Batke (OH) on the right with a 96 in the championship handicap event. JC won the shootff needless to say.

He was shooting a Beretta AL-2 that he bought in 1965. JC was inducted into the NCHOF the next year.

38-01615

9. Ron Frazier

Ron Frazier TS Member

I would guess if you have to ask, you're not old enough yet.

10. Mr.M

Mr.M Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Spend a month in Southern California sometime. More Vets and Sr. Vets than you can shake a BT-99 at. Don't know if it's the water, the weather or the women, but it's a real challenge to earn a trophy with these gentlemen and champions of the sport on the line. Good guys all.

Mike Mann

11. bas

bas Member

Jimmy - you are so right about "Beck", as Darla always called him. We were so fortunate to have the privilege of shooting with Don on many occasions when we came out west to shoot...SLC, PHX, and Tucson. A true competitor and great shot and great man.

12. dbcook

dbcook TS Member

i met a gentleman at the 2007 iowa state shoot. told me he was 97 years young told me he had shot up until just a few years back. told me of the time he was on a 499 out of 500 squad. looked at me,smiled & said how would you like to shoot a 99 & be low on the squad? said he come up to watch his boys shoot. it was a great couple hours sitting there with him. dwain

13. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

The father of our very own TRAP2, Dan Thome, Sr. is one of the finest gentlemen I know. He was very helpful, and continues to be, as I was, and continue, to learn the game of shooting trap. Sr. is 83 and still shoots in the mid 90s routinely.

Jon Schorle, Sacramento, CA

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.