1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Timers and their drink of choice

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    Years ago after shooting, an elderly friend of mine use to go to the corner bar for a drink. He always drank Early times and water with a beer chaser. This bar was not the type where you ordered pina colladas.

The bar patrons cashed their checks every Friday at the bar after work. The windows were dark as they did not want people to see them. If a spouse called to see if their man or woman was their, the owner would say have not seen him or her, and a nod was given to that person drinking and was told who called looking for them.

My old friend passed away years ago, and this particular bar closed down when the owner also died. Here in Milwaukee, we have numerous corner bars where customers frequent and cash their checks after work, as these patrons almost become a family of regulars.

In 1967, my parents purchased a three bedroom ranch in a real nice neighborhood. The listing was for $25,900.00. As we were walking through the property, the next door neighbor talked to my father and told him to offer $18,900.00 and the relatives who listed the property will accept the offer.

He said the owner and his son were hard core drinkers and were killed in an auto accident. He said they have a wet bar in the basement and he knows where they stored all their booze in a hiden space in the basement.

My parents purchased the property and invited the neighbor over and there were loose bricks on the back side of the bar with a arms length crawl space. New unopened bottles of liquor were in there. Jack Daniels, Old Crow, Early times, Seagrams,and the list goes on. My dad split everything with the neighbor and they became good friends over the years.

Some of these old timers never deviated from their drink of choice. I am curious, what is your drink of choice, and do you relate to the bar I mentioned in this thread?
    Steve Balistreri

2. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thirty years ago my choice was anywhere from Johnny Walker Black to Chivas Regal. Today my choice is Pepsi please. Jackie B.

3. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Bicardi, I've always been kind of a rumhead, I suppose.

4. 2500 HD

2500 HD Active Member

I only drink 3 kinds of beer and that's it!!!!!!

Bottled, Can, and Draft!!!!

5. joe90t

joe90t Active Member

Steve, Here In New Mexico Some Of Us Old Guys Need A Shot Or two Of "Pendleton' Blended To "Cut" The Dust!!!! Joe W.

6. capulona

capulona TS Member

Single Malt

7. senior smoke

Here in Milwaukee, Brandy has always been a big seller. If someone would have ordered a tropical mixed drink the owner and bar patrons would of thrown them out.
    Steve

8. senior smoke

I was watching old reruns of the tv show Dallas and J.R. Ewing always ordered something called "Branch"? Anyone know what that is?
    Steve

9. ColtM1911A1

ColtM1911A1 Member

Branch is a term for spring water around here. My drink is also branch, with a Coke thrown in for good measure now and then. I like the Mexican bottled Coke since they use real sugar and not the corn substitute. There is a big taste difference to those of us old guys that 'remember the day'.

10. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

Smoke:

Nearly 40 years ago, I was known to frequent a couple of places in Bloomington, IL. Bingo's was literally on a corner. A 16 oz. Hamms draft was 25 cents. Mixed drinks were half a buck. Old Crow was fine bourbon. You wouldn't waste good stuff like Old Crow in a mixed drink.

I liked Bingo's because of the atmosphere which included the two resident alcoholic dogs - Blackie and Cleo.

The other place was Mabel's Hi De Ho. The front of the place was jet black glass. "Mabel's Hi De Ho" was spelled out in pink neon.

Mabel didn't put up with any crap. If 'kids' got noisy, she flashed the lights on and off and did a last call. Us regulars sat tight. The kids left and nite life at Mabel's carried on.

Mabel's has a special place in my heart. I met my bride there. As I walked in the front door, she was bent over the pool table with her keister stuck up in the air. It was 'love' at first site, LOL.

My adult drink is Canadian on ice with a splash of water.

sissy

11. senior smoke

sissy:
    Great story, and that's my type of bar.
    Steve

12. Trail

Trail Active Member

Here in Eastern WI the drink of choice is frequently an "old fashion". Bars around here are judged by how they mix one and everyone has their little tweak for it. Brandy or Whiskey, Bitters, OJ, Seven-up, and some kind of fruit or veggie.

Having said that, the shooting clubs around here mostly serve beer only, with a couple of exceptions.

Trail

13. ctreay

ctreay Member

My choice is Brandy, the good stuff, St-Remy, Remy Martin, Asbach Uralt, Paul Masson and my two outstanding favorites Courvoisier and Hennessy. Two fingers, straight up, cheers!

ctreay

14. Don Steele

Don Steele Well-Known Member

Steve,
    I know of bars like that. Mostly seem to be a Northern thing.
    My Grandfather patronized one at the corner of Colerain Ave and Township St. in Camp Washington (Cincinnati,Oh)."Township Tavern" if memory serves(and it may not I'm in my 60's...it's been a LONG TIME since I worked down in Camp Washington..!!). Most definitely NOT a place to get anything with a parasol topping it or "pina" in the name..!!!
    For my Dad...Back-in-the-day, it was Crown Royal or Early Times on the rocks,maybe a little Southern Comfort around the holidays.
    For myself....these days Glenlivet or Wild Turkey. That said....on a hot day here in La Florida....a really well made Mojito is hard to beat if you can find one.
    Thanks for the memories...

15. omgb

omgb Well-Known Member

Whisky and soda or whisky on the rocks. prefer Canadian or rye. No fancy drinks, nothing with a catchy name, just good booze and good friends.

16. CharlieAMA

CharlieAMA TS Supporters TS Supporters

I like Windsor Whiskey, and Coca Cola. Rum and Coke is good also. That Pendleton that Joe likes is pretty good, also. Charlie Henderson

17. Big Heap

Big Heap TS Member

At Harold's Trapshooting Club in Reno the best drink served at the bar was a Bloody Mary. Very nourishing for all the hot shots that competed in that bygone day.

18. whiz-bang

whiz-bang Active Member

When I go to the Wisconsin state shoot I like to visit the small neighbor hood bars. One of my favorites is Art Altenburgs Concertina bar down on 37 st. Years ago I met pro wrestler Da Crusher there. I drank Schlitz the beer that made Milwaukee famous.

19. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Coltm1911 Coke is still made w/real sugar,

I SEE THEM UNLOAD IT AT THE COKE PLANT.

Gary

20. gunut54

gunut54 TS Member

Went to a couple of those bars in the day.....Ed Raatzs across from American Motors and next door to M&M Sporting Goods...and Valents just down the block...Both also had great food...especialy Raatzs that had a full kitchen and a nice atmosphere...

BTW...back then Brandy Sour....or Special Export[bottle].....Andecker[On Tap]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.