1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Timers and Guns

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by amboy49, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

By father bequeathed his fathers Win Model 42 field grade to me. I'm a skeet shooter so I had the choke opened from full to skeet, had the barrel restamped and sent it to New York to have an original solid rib put on it and then finished the project with beautiful wood from Wenig checkered in original Grade V pattern.

People have commented it was almost sacrilege to take an original Model 42 in 98
    % condition and "modifiy" it. I always counter with the fact I'll never sell the gun and wanted to enjoy shooting it on the skeet range.

Many of us who are of the age to recognize, enjoy and continue to shoot Model 12's, Model 42's, Model 31's, Super X 1's, Browning Auto 5's, etc. are getting long in the tooth and since time and tide wait for no man, the shooting ranks of our generation will continue to diminish.

While sitting around the B.S. table at the gun club, my fellow shooteres often bemoan the fact that the next and younger "generation" will not recognize, let alone appreciate, these fine(r) old guns.

Just wondering if this subject is brought up and discussed in shooting circles elsewhere around the country ?

Noel

2. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

The subject comes up when ever I bring out my Mod 12 Pigeon Trap, one of the guys sees it and the conversations starts. Many of them have one but don't shoot it (Investment). I decided after getting lots of opinions on this site to shoot and enjoy mine a good decison for sure.

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

I take one of my Model 12's out for a little exercise from time to time and they always a cause for conversation ... I have sold several of them to guys that just have to have one and promise to treat it like one of their own ... I tried to do that with my kids and could never get any good offers, but they are not Model 12's either ... I'm not sure why I quit shooting a Model 12, but think I will probably go back to shooting them again and keep my TM-1 for a back up ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. KEYBEAR

KEYBEAR Active Member

Bruce Alot of us oldtimers do love to hold and look at Model-12,s . It makes us remember days past and some of the good people now gone . I started shooting Trap in about 1964 . My first trap gun was a buildup Win 97 then a real Model-12 trap . I still have some Mod-12,s but don,t shoot them much anymore . The next generation will not know or care about some of the best guns ever made .

ALF

5. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I began my registered shooting with an old field grade mod.12. I plan to start shooting it again as soon as I complete some trigger work on it. Shooting for fun again. Hap

6. gordy h

gordy h Member

I love it when I take my 5 E to the club . And the youngsters ask WHAT'S THAT
    Butch H

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

If I remember correctly, a .410 skeet choke is not that much different from a tighter one. At least I recall reading something to that effect.

This is because the pattern has to be regulated to a target breaking density.

I know the numbers for .410 chokes are out there someplace.

HM

8. chuckles

chuckles Member

Old classics will always be around and always be a topic of discussion to answer your original question....

Shotgun purchases are IMO driven by cost, peer pressure, ego, Mfg Marketing and how a gun might fit both physcially and mentally...

No matter what....it is and always will be the shooter not the gun that consistently wins, a Truism if there ever was one....

my2cw....regards

an oldtimer

9. miss alot

miss alot TS Member

I'm not really an oldtimer at 40 but I love shooting my model 12's. I've got berettas, winchester 101's, an SKB 85tss but more often than not i shoot my model 12's. There get guns point well and just boil targets, and like everybody else said they get attention. I'm allways getting asked can i pick it up and look at it. I allways say hell go out and shoot it.

Shoot Often Shoot Straight

Rich S

10. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

skeet

i've often thought about having some special engraving done to a Super X 1.

If not to intrusive, would you p.m. me with the cost for the engraving you had done or provide more information on the engraver - name, email address, phone or ?

I'm familiar with Ernest Marlette - he did some work on a Krieghoff skeet gun for me. What work did he do on your Super X1 ?

Thanks in advance,

Noel Kendall

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

old timers shooting trap

old timers shotgun clubs