1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Super Handicaps

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Michael Jobe, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Picked up four boxes of the old Winchester Super Handicaps yesterday. These are the old stye hull, light silver colored rather than gray, and listed as 3 dram eq. on the box. I've heard various stories about these shells like they're faster than ATA limits, and their loaded with size 7 shot rather than the listed 7 1/2 and a little more than the listed 1 1/8 oz of shot. In reality, other than the hull are these the same as the newer Super Handicaps I've been shooting?

Thanks,

Michael

2. jakearoo

jakearoo Active Member

MIA, That is exactly my experience. I quit shooting seriously for about 13 or so years. I had about 5 cases of AA heavys. Including, 2 cases of old "silver bullets." I never shot them at handicap at the time using them instead for "games." They were a very powerful load. I shot some recently and expected them to pound the crap outa me. The opposite happened. They were so soft that I thought something was wrong. I have not experimented further but I wonder. Jake

3. Michael Jobe

Michael Jobe TS Member

Not sure how old the shells are. Since they're in a black box similiar to what Winchester currently uses, and the hulls are a little rough, I assume they're from the end of old hull production. So what would that make them? 7? 8 years old?

~Michael

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

They took advantage of the 55 allowable deviation in the rules and loaded them for 1255 FPS.

And yes, they had large wallop factor. But they kill pheasants nicely over dogs.

HM

5. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

A couple or three years ago, a fellow wanted to rid himself of some of the older (silver, not gray) Super H'caps for a bargain and I bit. I found them every bit as stout in recoil as I expected but II was quite pleasantly surprised how they really reached out and took care of 25 to 27 yard birds. I would probably used many more had they been available.....Bob Dodd

6. joshif

joshif TS Member

Up for bid, a Vintage 20 box case of AA superhandicap 25th anniversary shells. 3 dr 7 1/2. Unopened! Bid starts at $100.00 + freight with reserve.7 days to go.Bid away!!!

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

For the first 1.5 years the Super Handicap AA shells were loaded a little hot. After that, they cut back to a reasonable and legal shell. I do not remember what year they were introduced but the hot shells only were made for about 1.5 years. Not all of the light gray AA shells are hot.

Pat Ireland

8. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

27-m12,
    I will start the bid at 100 plus freight. Where are you located? Thanks.

Jerry Nickell

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Many, many years ago, Winchester put out a handicap shell that came in a black hull with silver writing on them. They were marked, as I recall, AA HANDICAP. Now, that shell was a handicap load and a half! I shot many, many, cases of them. I don't remember them as being too bad on recoil, but they were a fantastic 27 yard shell. Probably the very best factory handicap load I ever shot. They killed more than their share of Sprig and Mallards over decoys out of some of my duck blinds as well.. Sure wish they were still available......Dan Thome (Trap2)

10. joshif

joshif TS Member

Dan, The Black Handicaps as we called them were a great shell. No match for a Fed. Paper (at the time) though.They were quite mild compared to the first SUPER handicaps and Fed. Gold Medals. Only Gold Medals were plastic and the Champion was the Paper. Now they're all called Gold Medal. I remember shooting at Tipp City during the Grand and shooting the Gold Medals. WOW, My game shells didn't kick so hard. Knocked the snot out of the birds and me too!I quit shooting them and went to the WW SuperTarget to get my head in the game again.Now THAT was a good shell. If a Fed. Paper was a 10 the SuperTarget was a 9.8 and the Black Handicap was a 9.7 in my opinion.Ps, The Fed. Papers I shot in '75 at the Grand wasn't the same shell I bought at home. They kicked like hell and gave me a head ache.Took some home and shot them side by side with the ones I buy around home and it was day and night. I took one apart and the normal white paper over the primer hole was Black,now they are red. I asked a Fed. Rep. about that the next year and he said that was to indentify a Grand shell over one from home in case there was a problem.Makes sense.The regular guy couldn't afford a chrono back then so I don't know the speed. What I do know is the shells I bought at the '82 Grand chrono'd at 1300 while my reloads,1200 by the book were 1210 fps avg of 10 shells. Go figure. I know that the distance from the muzzle makes a difference in velocity and barrels etc.but if you compare a shell at 6 ft and another shell at 6 ft and one is markedly different, guess what. They are 2 different shells! Prove me wrong scientists.

11. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

27-M12,
    Where are you located with those old shells? I am in dayton Oh. When you mentioned shooting tipp city, where you just here for the Grand? I will also up the bid to $110 on the old super handicaps. I need to know where you are locate so I can try to calculate shipping. thanks.

Jerry Nickell

12. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

I'll bid 125.

13. dr.t

dr.t TS Member

could the hot shells as Pat Ireland said were made for the first year be determined by the lot nummber on the box

14. dr.t

dr.t TS Member

could the hot shells as Pat Ireland said were made for the first year be determined by the lot nummber on the box

15. dr.t

dr.t TS Member

sorry about the flinch

16. joshif

joshif TS Member

Probably, if you knew the code. Nitro,I'm in Pittsburgh. Yes, I was only there for the Grand and the State shoot.

17. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

My bid is $130.

18. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

19. nitro 100

nitro 100 Member

20. K-GUNS

K-GUNS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.