1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Style Once Fired AA Hulls???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by t7731, Dec 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. t7731

t7731 Member

How can I tell the difference between the old AA hulls and the new AA hulls?
    I have several garbage bags full of once fired AA hulls that are probably 7 - 10 years old, but I dont know if they are the desireable ones or not.

Anything that I should be looking for?

What are they worth is sold in lots of 500 or 1000?

Thanks,

Mike

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

Look down inside to see if they are one piece or not. The newer AA's have a lip or edge down towards the base on the inside of the hull indicating its two piece construction. Also the hull color and markings. The old AA's were a dull red. The newer AA's are brighter with a different sheen. The new AA's also have an HS stamped on the base. However, the 2nd generation AA and first run of 2 piece hulls did not have the HS stamp. The old AA's were one piece. The one piece AA's had AA with a box around it but a small box. The first run of two piece hulls had the AA in a box but larger. The newest have AA with a line under them.

The newest style....

[​IMG]

The 2nd generation and least desirable.....

[​IMG]

The old style and most desired.....

[​IMG]

3. t7731

t7731 Member

Thank you. One piece being the desireable ones?

4. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

You are welcome and Yes, one piece are the desired hulls.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Where are you located?

6. t7731

t7731 Member

15 miles South of Baltimore.

7. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

All of mine are gray and I have never had a problem reloading them. Bill

8. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The "old style" hulls are desired by those who are paranoid about the new HS hull but whether or not those old hulls are reloadable and worth having may well depend on how they were stored before they came into your possession.

I have ±20, 5 gallon buckets full of once-fired silvers and reds in storage back in the US and they are really worthless except to recycle the plastic and the brass. I don't know the details of their previous storage but about half the ones I reloaded during the past 2 years split down the side the first time they are fired as reloads.

Keller

9. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

That's interesting that my experience should be so different from yours, Keller. These shells seem so durable that I don't really look at them anymore. My shells have been kept clean and dry, but no other special treatment. Age,maybe. Bill

10. shrek

shrek Active Member

the new style 2 piece hulls are also a little bit smaller in volume than the old ones, this is easily fixed by using the downrange WAA wad clones that were intentionally designed to work with the new AA hulls

seems like there may have been a some poor batches of the very last of the old school AA's

By far the lions share of the old school ones I have used have been outstanding.

11. Barkingspider21

Barkingspider21 Member

I have about 5,000 red and gray hulls combined, they are all once fired that I have bought in the last 3 years. I usually get away with reloading them about 9 or10 times before I toss them. My favorite load is claydotwith a Win 209 primer and 1/18 Ozs of 8 shot, not a light load by any means. They go through my RCBS Grand with no problems. I like that. Woody

12. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I only reload now with the new 2 piece AA hulls and have no issues with my PW loader. Like Keller, I had more problems with the last of the old style one piece hulls splitting and soft plastic giving smashed crimps.

13. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

I do use the WAA clone wads and the AA grey hulls exclusively. Maybe that is why the hulls could split? Not the right wad for the hull? Bill

14. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

There will be no degradation of the polyethylene as long as they were stored out of any UV light. The average temperature spread found in a garage wont effect them. You have to get up to about 210 degrees F for heat degradation on high density polyethylene.

Mine have been stored in steel cans with black poly liners.

One thing to remember about the old Winchester compression formed one piece hulls, whether they be red or silver...............Not all of them are the famous performers that most of us geezers remember so fondly. The thing that made the best ones of their kind so good was an additive that, when mixed with polyethylene, would "hinge"many many times at the crimp before they would crack. Winchester cheapened up on that additive from time to time for profit reasons. The additive is quite expensive.

There have been times that the WWAA's were as bad as they were good. Some cracking occurred, even on new shells right out of the box. There was one version of their one ounce load that had a brass washed steel base that was only about a 1/4" tall. They were a bitch to resize and some of the metal was split right out of the box. WW discontinued that feature real quick.

Still the AA was the pioneer of the premium plastic hull and the king to avid reloaders for many many years. They were the best for a long time and Remington did no more than copy the old AA when they introduced it to the market. As far as I'm concerned the STS/Nitro is king now, simply because they are a one piece, compression formed hull.

AA's new two piece design, once they learned better how to lock the inner plastic base wad to prevent it from breaking free, is a close second.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

can smashed hulls be reloaded

difference between 1piece hulls and 2 piece hulls

old style aa hulls

winchester aa old style hulls