1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

old shell disposal or dis-assembly

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Jack L. Smith, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack L. Smith

Jack L. Smith Member

I have a number of old reloaded shells, made with a MEC 650. Mostly AA's; many are 15 to 20 years old. Some have a slight gauge in the brass (at the top of the brass) others are fine looking, just not shot. Maybe the crimp was slightly enlarged and I couldn't easily get them in the chamber.

What is the safest was to cut them open and render them usless?

Is there any possibility of a discharge during the process?

What do I do with the old primers?

If there are any that I can shoot, is there a possibility of moisture in the shells that could cause a problem discharge?

If I can fit some in a gun, are they safe to shoot or is the moisture possibility an issue?

I would appreciate any constructive comments. I am trying to seek good advice. Please no attempts at creating a LOL as this is a sensitive subject, as we all are aware. Other ts readers may have the same questions.

thanks very much!!

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Jack,

You can use about any type of plastic/hose cutter for shell dissassmbly. I generally cut them a little above the brass. I just cut the outer case so that I can reuse the wad if it hasn't been cocked.

I generally have 4 containers close by when I do this. 1 is for shot, 1 is for powder, 1 is for wads, and the last one is for the hull base.

If you have a good single stage loader lying about, use that to gently remove primers from the hull base so that they can be reused.

Dispose of old gunpowder in the garden or yard, it makes a dandy fertilizer.

There is a couple people on this site that sell very nice hull cutters.

ss

3. michshooter

michshooter TS Member

I cut my bad shells apart with a plastic pipe cutter. I cut through the middle of the wad which keps the powere in the bottom of the shell and the shot in the wad cup. After cutting a bunch of shells, I pull the wad sections and pour the powder and shot into seperate continers. I then deprime the base on my loader to salvage the primer and throw away the shell casing and wad sections. Goes pretty quick and I recover the powder, shot and primer.

I bourht my cutters at Home Depot.

....Paul

4. Steelermen32

Steelermen32 TS Member

I use a deck screw in the center of the shell and screw it in about three threads and pull it open like it would open if it was fired and dump the shot right back in the loader and pull the wad out with needle nose pliers and then dump the powder right back in the loader and then put the shell in a resizer to save the primer. in all takes about 30 seconds a shell but you save everything if it is still good.

5. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

This has been covered before but here is a tool sold on here by Gary Bulley that works way better than any other and you save everything but the hull
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    send him a PM @ "THE UNLOADER"
    [​IMG]

6. hmrgun

hmrgun Member

Jack, Like Short Shucker said, throw the powder in the garden. You don't want to risk mixing different powders. Unless you have only used one type of powder over the last twenty years it would be dangerous. Even if you are sure that you only used one type of powder how much would you be saving on one or two boxes of shells?

Cliff

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

If they were my reloads I would not hesitate to shoot in my gun. The ones with a slight gouge in the brass I would clean up with a file so they would slide into the chamber. The ones that are a little mis shaped I would press into the chamber by hand.

Try a few of the better ones and be guided by their performance. HMB

8. KENENT1

KENENT1 Active Member

if they were my reloads, I would shoot them at doves.

tony

9. cubancigar2000

Yep, I would shoot them to but he still needs and would be happier than a pig in sh-- with the unloader

10. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

When in doubt.. throw it out...

11. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I recently shot a box of shells I loaded back in 1968. They worked just fine. They shot better than I did. They weren't rejects though. I have a few tubs of slightly "off" shells that I use for the occasional practice session when nobody is looking. If they are real bad with bulges or other deformities, they get torn down and disposed of properly. If they were stored properly, they would likely not be affected by moisture, etc. Cutting the hull in half, dumping the powder and shot works well. If you don't like decapping live primers, put the case head with the primer into a shotgun and fire them, being VERY careful where you do this. Outside, your neighbors might get the wrong idea.

12. cubancigar2000

I was leary of knocking out primers but it is really simple and I have never had one go off. I do wear heavy gloves and eye protection just in case. I use the unloader to unload any shell I even suspect is not right because I lose the hull only

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

shotgun hull cuters