1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Reloading Component Assistance Needed

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jrdlanes, Mar 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

To make this as brief as possible, I have access to some old components but need some help in determining safe reciepes. Primers are CCI 209 (not Ms), 700X powder and Remington RKP wads (I suspect actually RXP). The hulls to be used will be Rem STS & Gun Clubs. Also some Federal 20 primers (not 209As). Looking for 1200 & 1150 fps in 1 1/8 oz and 1200 fps in 1 oz.

Perhaps someone has an old IMR manual around & can assist. Thank you. John in Iowa.

2. mag410

mag410 Active Member

Lots of data at the link above.

Oddly there is no date for RXP12 wads.

An old Dupont manual I have shows 18.5 grains of 700X, RXP12, CCI209, 1 1/8 oz 1190 fps, 9700LUP

Were it me, I would load 17 grains.

Michael

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Everything you mention except the Federal 209 primers are currently still manufactured. There is no magic to finding current receipes. The Hodgdon site listed previously is a great resource.

4. Big Jack

Big Jack Well-Known Member

I bought a quanity of Federal 209 primers from a friend's widow. When I questioned a powder company in regard to them, I was told to treat them the same a Win. 209's. The load I quoted to them was a mild load at about 1150fps. No problems.

Big Jack

5. 870

870 Well-Known Member

I'll just say shoot a few before you load many. I had some CCI 209's from the early seventies that I tried using a few years ago, and it did not go very well. They really smelled bad after firing and I had several bloopers with quite a flame. Now I need to find a way to destroy a couple hundred of them.

6. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

If they are the "Trap and Sheet" primers made by CCI they are not sealed and have very little self life. They were made to keep the cost down for us shooters. A very good idea, but CCI forgot what hoarders we are. When I have the chance to pick up old components these are the primer I stay away from.

Check the petals on the wads and see if they are brittle. Some of the old Winchesters and the Federals are terrible at this.

Ajax

7. jrdlanes

jrdlanes Member

All good things to know. I suspicion these components are from the early to mid 90s. That was about the time the purchaser was diagnosed w/ cancer and was forced to stop shooting. I have no problems w/ the 700X but am a bit concerned about the primers.

Thanks for the ideas & suggestions guys. Any other thoughts/ideas please share them. John in Iowa

8. Ajax

Ajax Well-Known Member

Just about any other primer except the CCI "Trap and Skeet" should still be good. "Trap and Skeet" is printed on each box.

I've been shooting some Max Fire Alcan primers from the 60's. They still work good.

Ajax

9. kgp912kgp

kgp912kgp Active Member

Found some sleeves of Winchester Western primers and they work fine. I believe they are from the 80's not sure when they took the Western off the Winchester products.

You should be fine as long as you stick to low pressures...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.