1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

old reddot powder

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by PerazziBigBore, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

If its been stored correctly.. if there is no acid smell.. still good to go.. I hung up my reloading shotgun shells when I was 17.. took it out again at 40.. Worked good as new..

If you can't find the faded flakes.. I'd not use the powder..Mine were a very,very faded pink.. but still there.. I bought the keg new..years before..

2. OldRemFan

OldRemFan Member

The old red dot I have is a slightly different color dots and much lighter, but I can still plainly see the red dots in powder that is almost 30 years old. If stored properly as mine was, it still works fine.

Do you know with any doubt what so ever that you have red dot powder, or is this something you got from someone else? If you don't know for sure, I would recommend you use it for fertilizer.

3. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

That's up to you. Last year I cleaned house and found some 35 year old Red Dot in the original 4 lb. cardboard drum. It still had red flakes, but they were really faded. I used it all up with no problems.

If you originally bought your drum and know for a fact it is Red Dot, try it. If you are not sure, I wouldn't recommend it.

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Red Dot powder, even old Red Dot powder, has red flakes in it.

Pat Ireland

5. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Gee, I wonder why they named it Red Dot.

6. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Pat, my cousin gave me some Red Dot and Green Dot from 1969 when he was on the Air Force skeet team. You could not see the colored flakes. It smelled OK and I used it without any problems. Wayne

7. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

I have Red dot powder that I bought in 67 or 68 one steel 3 lb. can is unopened with the seal still on the top, the other steel 3 pounder is half empty. I just examined some and the red dots are well faded, but visible enough to identify it. I personally would not use that powder because it's not identifiable without the colored dots. I am sure my powder is as old if not older then your cardboard drum, and you still can make out the faded dots.

8. Robb

Robb Member

If it was given to you open plus you find no red dump it. Just common sense. The money saved on 4 lbs. won't go far on a new barrel or worse.

9. oskerspap12

oskerspap12 Active Member

FERTILLIZER!

10. dr.beav

dr.beav Member

As I remember the old Red Dot from the 60's it would kick like heck and even a 20 ga. shell wold make you sore after a while. the beav

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

17 sounds safe enough.

12. winchesterm12

winchesterm12 TS Member

I nearly blew up a rifle with some powder that I bought at a gun show. It was in an opened container and sold to me as one thing but after one shot and a bolt that was wedged shut I knew better. After some visual inspection I think that I I.D'ed the powder I had and if I did that correctly I was about 7 gr. over max load for that powder. It's not worth a blown up gun for a few pounds of powder, if 3-4 pounds of powder breaks your shooting budget you need a cheaper hobby.

pumpgunner

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

reddot powder flakes are not red