1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Old Red Dot

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by joconnor, Mar 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joconnor

joconnor Member

I have a 4lb container of Red Dot. It is still in the original container and factory sealed. It was packaged in 1993. What are the chances of it being OK to use.
    Jerry O'Connor

2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

It will be 100% ok. I have a 12 lb can of PB that is over 30 years old and it is ok

3. acorange

acorange Well-Known Member

2 years ago I came across a 8lb. cardboard keg of Green Dot that was marked
    1991. Bought it cheap and did not know the diffrence from new.

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

If it doesn't smell sour, use it. Last year I decided to use up some old Red Dot I bought in the 70's. The red dots were so faded they looked pale pink. Smelled fine; shot better.

5. TOOLMAKER 251

TOOLMAKER 251 Active Member

Just like ZZT said, I have 2 lb. left from a 3 lb. steel drum that I bought back in 1967 or 68 and it is still good. When it starts smelling like vinegar it's time to get rid of it.

6. pduryee

pduryee TS Member

Jerry, I'll test a pound or two for you.
    pd

7. itsnotyou

itsnotyou Member

It sounds risky, send it to me for proper disposal. I will dispose of it properly for FREE.

8. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Didn't Red Dot, once upon a time, have a different density and use greater volumetric amounts to give the same results as todays modern Red Dot?

9. frostyman

frostyman Well-Known Member

About 5 years ago I got a 12 pound red metal keg of Hercules Red Dot dated April 1965. I loaded a few shells and they shot fine, so I loaded all of it. So I agree with the people above, if it smells bad it probably is but it will keep for a long time as long as it is not wet.

10. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Actually, I think that most nitro cellulose powders can get wet, then dry it and will still act as a propellant. I don't know if the potency changes but I think I heard it gets even more potent.

11. jerryw

jerryw TS Member

Jerry,

Do not use this powder. As a friend I would be more than happy to drive over and pick it up, and dispose of it for you. Being that much, it will take a while to dispose of it.

I bought some at a garage sale in a rusted metal can. It smelled good and shot good. You will be fine.

Jerry Walker

12. ksshooter

ksshooter TS Member

Back in the 70's, alliant changed the burning rate on red dot...1977 I think. Since that time, same burning rate, so you should be good to go...use present day loading stats.

cs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.